PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 bolt adjustment?

Pages : 1 [2]

whiskeyloaf
11-20-2015, 08:50 AM
I've tried 2 different kinds of factory loaded ammo

WinnieTheBoom
11-20-2015, 09:26 AM
I can't imagine that your gunsmith trued the action without checking the headspace, but either take it back to him or get a set of go/no-go gages and check it yourself. It's the only way that you'll be able to tell whether or not it's a problem with the chamber/rifle itself.

Did you purchase the rifle new? What caliber?

whiskeyloaf
11-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Purchased it new .308. He rebarrelled it with a bull barrel, put new stock on it and new bottom metal. He said the headspace was "perfect".

Bolthead
11-20-2015, 04:06 PM
I second what WinnieTheBoom said. Take it back to the gunsmith and show him what the problem is. Sure sounds like a headspace issue, "perfect" or not.

whiskeyloaf
11-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Is this something I can do on my own? I don't trust that guy any more haha

Bolthead
11-20-2015, 04:37 PM
It is actually very easy to check. Get a caliber specific "GO Gauge" and put it in the chamber. The bolt should close smoothly like there is no shell in there. You can then install a NO Go Gauge and make sure the bolt will not close all the way. You can also use the GO with a piece of tape on the "primer" end to do the same thing. While you are at it, check to make sure the ejector parts on the head are not damaged or sticking.

WinnieTheBoom
11-20-2015, 04:51 PM
Did the issue start only after it was re-barreled? Or has it been going on since you bought it new?

whiskeyloaf
11-20-2015, 04:54 PM
I mean can I adjust the headspace on my own?

WinnieTheBoom
11-20-2015, 08:07 PM

Yes, but you'll need an action vice (or some alternative way to keep your action in place), a barrel wrench, and a set of go/no-go gauges for .308. Barrel removal and installation is extremely easy on a Savage - plenty of well-documented info on this. Check YouTube, there are tons of how-to's.

Again, did your issue start only after it was re-barreled? If so, your issue is almost guaranteed to be headspace related. If that's the case, do not, I repeat DO NOT under any circumstances, shoot your rifle until you have the problem sorted out.

Robinhood
11-20-2015, 08:11 PM

Yes you can. You will need a set of head space gauges, a barrel nut wrench and either a barrel vice or a action wrench. Once you have secured those tools start a new thread entitled "help me head space my rifle"

earl39
11-20-2015, 11:03 PM
Did your gunsmith rebarrel it using a barrel nut? If so you can reset headspace. If he set it up like a remington then no your can not easily reset headspace. And once again did it act this way from the beginning or only after the barrel was replaced?

whiskeyloaf
02-12-2016, 12:26 PM
Checked with another gunsmith, who confirmed that the headspace was good. Wonder if I should try an aftermarket bolt.