PDA

View Full Version : 116 bear hunter bottomed out scope

ptbobdemaria
06-13-2015, 12:32 PM
Hi guys, new to the forum. Just bought a new 300 win mag bear hunter, sweet looking rifle! I bought it to build a high performance and eye catching rifle as i had a nice laminate thumbhole stock made for it. I put a mueller stainless steel 25× 50mm scope on it with tally ring base set. I know not a highly expensive scope but I spend many hours reading reviews on that particular scope and many in their line and all had stellar reviews. My problem is, I brought it to the range, had it bore sighted, and with the scope already bottomed out up and left... I am still 2 inches low and right @50 yards. I sent it to william gun sight gunsmithing as I am have them pillar/glass bed the rifle in new stock. I asked them to look into the scope issue. They responded by telling me the reason scope is bottoming out is that barrel slopes down so it is throwing the bullets low. Basically, rifle is defective and I need to send it back to savage. Has anyone ever experienced or heard of this issue? I spoke to savage and the said that it seems very strange and they need to look at the rifle before giving me a definative answer. They said they may just need to bend the barrel a little bit and stated that all barrels require this and that mine may not have been done correctly upon manurfacting. My major concern is that I consider this rifle to be a lemon and I paid $1,000 for it to build a dream rifle. I want it for long range shooting and want to squeeze every bit of moa out of it that I can. If they want to just tamper with it to the extent of which they consider it to be fixed instead of issuing me a new rifle (which they said is very unlikely because of laws) I feel like I am not getting what I paid $1,000 for... and building onto it with over another $1,000. I know many of you are far more knowledgeable and experienced than I am, so any and all comments would be appreciated. I will update situation when I hear from savage. Thanks guys

Hotolds442
06-13-2015, 07:05 PM
Yours is not the first to have point of aim issues. Send it back, and let the factory check it out. You'll get it back and it'll be worthwhile. They hand straighten every barrel, so getting one that's slightly off isn't a surprise. Unfortunately their QC is suffering as of late, with issues such as yours and improper chambering being two of the most predominant complaints.

ptbobdemaria
06-13-2015, 08:26 PM
Thanks for your response. Do you think this will negatively effect my moa when I get it back? Or because they hand straighten every barrel, moa will differ from rifle to rifle. Do you feel I should push for them to issue me a new rifle as just a few rounds have been pushed through it. I bought it 2 months ago

Hotolds442
06-13-2015, 08:59 PM
I don't think a factory barrel straightening, if needed, will negatively affect your MOA. If anything, it should shoot better. I'd just let them try and fix it. If it comes back and it's still not accurate, insist they take it back and try again. Usually they replace barrels if it needs to go back the second time around.

ptbobdemaria
06-29-2015, 09:15 AM
They got back to me and told me that the barrel was damaged. They will install a new barrel. The only thing is, their factory is closing for 2 weeks!!!!