PDA

View Full Version : STEVENS

miker
05-24-2010, 12:43 AM
I HAVE A STEVENS 22 250 I USE ON P DOGS THINK OF REBARRELING IT WANT A HEAVY BARREL STANLESS STEEL NOT SURE I NEED A MATCH GRADE BARREL WAS WONDERING IS U HAD ANY SUGETIONS ON WITCH COMPANY TO GO WITH WAS THINKING OF ER SHAW

bootsmcguire
05-24-2010, 01:34 AM
if it were me I would give Jim a call at Northland Shoters Supply and see if he's got a new Savage barrel for ya. It would be a lot cheaper and faster. I have yet to find anything wrong with a Savage barrel, all of my have been superbly accurate.

miker
05-24-2010, 01:51 AM
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON ER SHAW BARRELLS SOME SAY ARE BETTER THAN SAVAGE I AGREE WITH U HAVE SEVERAL SAVAGES ONLY COMPLAINT I HAVE WITH THEM IS CLEANING GET REAL TIGHT AROUND THE CHANBER AREA AND ARE VERY HARD TO CLEAN END UP USING BRAKE FREE BORE PAST TO REMOVE IT LOOKING FOR A BARREL THAT IS EASY TO CLEAN LIKE DPMS STANLES BARELLS HAVE ON OF THEN HARDLEY CATCHES ANY COPPER AT ALL

sharpshooter
05-24-2010, 02:36 AM
Please turn your caps lock off.

Slowpoke Slim
05-24-2010, 08:12 AM
If you're looking for a Shaw to be "easy to clean" and not "catch any copper", then you better look elsewhere. The one I have is rougher than hell inside, fouls harder and faster than any other barrel I've ever shot, except for one of my factory Savage barrels, it was about a "tie" with that one. Mine's still not broken in yet, so I'm hoping it will improve some. It's got the "train tracks" from one end of the barrel to the other from when the blank was drilled. I've JB bore pasted it twice already. It takes 3 separate sessions with the foaming cleaner to get all the copper out. So far no joy on load development, but I'm still chipping away at it, and hopefully the barrel will shoot in some.

Those Shaw barrels are cheap, and they'll probably shoot (we'll see, don't know yet about this one), but don't expect them to clean up easy like a higher end custom barrel. Most of my factory barrels, and both of my McGowens are far and away better barrels.

Good luck.

Eric in NC
05-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Ditto - Shaw makes good barrels, they shoot good etc. but they are just about as rough as Savage factory tubes.

Of course clean barrels have never really impressed me - barrels that make small groups do!

psharon97
05-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Im really impressed with the Douglas SSS Barrel that Fred made for me. Only problem I have is I want to build another rifle this time in 6.5x47

miker
05-24-2010, 02:05 PM
I see shilen makes savage drop in's read alot abut them think i might go with one of them in a blued barrel thanks for the help guys

bootsmcguire
05-24-2010, 09:55 PM
I haven't had much trouble cleaning mine, none of mine seem to foul too bad. maybe I am cleaning to often ;)
I haven't had a Shaw yet, so I can't say much on them. For me so far, Factory Savage barrels have the best value and have given me groups that I can brag about. I figure "why mess with success". However some of the calibers I have in mind for future builds are gonna lead me to aftermarket, so I suppose I will hafta tempt fate and see what happens. I have heard good about shilen. hope it works for ya.

miker
05-25-2010, 01:39 AM
I will let u all know how it turns out wont be til later this fall that i build it got 250 rounds to go thought before i pull this off goin pdogin first weekend in june should only take a day to burn that up :)