PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Is this a Mark II or Model 93 chambered in 22LR

supr78nova
09-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Hey guys this is my first time posting on this board and I was hoping you might be able to help me out.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/supr78nova/misc%20pictures/savage22LR.jpg

I found this earlier and I am unsure as to whether or not it is a Savage Mark II or a Model 93 rifle. It looks like a MARK II-BTV, which Savage only offers in 22LR, not 17HMR which the ad says is the other option. Then again it also looks a lot like a Model 93R17BTV except that it is offered in 22LR, not 17HMR exclusively. To me, it appears as though it is a model 93 chambered in 22LR instead of 17HMR that they are selling through Dick's. Are there any dead giveaways that this particular rifle is one or the other?

What are the main differences between the Mark II and the Model 93 rifles. Similarly equipped, is one better than the other? Also, is $300 a decent price for this rifle?

Thanks,

Dan

shelbyfan
09-17-2009, 04:39 AM
You are thinking to hard, stop it before you brain explodes. It doesn't matter what is pictured, it is a 93, they use the same action. The only difference is the barrel and magazine parts. You will probably not be able to find that exact model on Savages website as most big stores, Dicks, Sportmans, Cabelas, etc, all have their own special line they sell that are slightly different than the others. I once came across a store model that had a walnut thumbhole stock and it was not the classic.

supr78nova
09-19-2009, 06:27 PM
As it turns out they were selling both the Mark II and the 93R17 models under the one advertisement. I picked up a Mark II-BTV in .22LR with a 3-9x40 scope earlier today. I hope to see how it shoots some time this week.

Dan

Bad Water Bill
09-19-2009, 08:09 PM
First welcome to our happy home.

Next get yourself some Wolf Match Target ammo.
Now go to the range and see what your new rifle can really do at 100 yards.

supr78nova
09-20-2009, 08:20 AM
For the meantime I purchased some really cheap ammo to waste on getting the scope set up as well as fiddling with the trigger pull. I picked up some Remington Thunderbolts as well as some Remington Target ammo mainly because that's all they had on the shelf and I needed something to feed it. I will look into the Wolf Match Target ammo for future trips to the range.

Dan

shelbyfan
09-20-2009, 03:14 PM
If Rem is all they had, get the Golden Bullets before the target or thunderturds. They are more accurate and cheaper. Dumb huh? But if they have the Rem sub sonics they are preferred over all other Rem.

supr78nova
09-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Bad Water Bill,

Do you know where I can purchase Wolf ammo? It looks like they offer a few different loads, is there one that you would recommend?

shelbyfan,

I decided to pick up the thunderbolts and target ammo while I was at the store. In hindsight, it probably wasn't the best choice for ammo, but thanks for the heads up about the sub sonics and golden bullets.

-Dan

shelbyfan
09-24-2009, 04:08 AM
Cabelas is a wolf supplier, they just had a ton in when I was there last, they are now 1,500 down.

The reason I said that about the Rems comes from personal experience, and what my personal friends have experienced. One friend who builds custom 10/22 stuff, very nice stuff, uses the Rem Subs for hunting because they are much more reliable, this is in his super accurate personal rifle he built. In my personal experience, with multiple rifles the GB's are always more accurate than the Rem Target. In fact, the GB's are always fairly accurate, I have no idea why as they have at least 4 different noise levels. I just don't use them because I don't like the mess they make and the bad experiences all around with them blowing up. I lost a mag and extractor from a 10/22 and a broken extractor from my Savage 23A.

supr78nova
09-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Ok thats good info to know. What makes them messier than other brands or loads? Also, what do you mean bad experiences with them blowing up? SOrry for all the questions, this is all new to me as I am much more familiar with shotguns.

Dan

shelbyfan
09-24-2009, 05:58 PM
They roll them in this golden powder, hence the name, similar to copper washed you get from other companies, and it gets everywhere, much worse that anything I have ever seen from Federal or CCI, even Winchester. I also know that they are very dirty, almost like a lot of powder does not get burned.

As for the blowing up part, I can only assume they had extra powder in them, maybe a double charge. The ends were definitely blown out, I used to have pictures. Because I was not using a remington rifle remington told me to stuff it, basically, on getting the parts reimbursed. Apparently according to the person I spoke to the fact that it was not a remington it was not guaranteed against workmanship and therefor the fault of the rifle manufacturer, Ruger and Savage, and not the ammunitions manufacturer.