PDA

View Full Version : Savage axis Suck.

Einstein
06-12-2015, 12:53 AM
That's what the counter salesman told me, as he tried to talk me in to a Remy 700. Well so far the only mechanical thing I've changed was a new replacement trigger spring gives my 3.25 lb pull, metered. Shooting with the cheap ass Bushnell 3x9 scope that came with it and Wally World Value pack federal 55gr FMJ's, would you believe it a 1/2" group...TWICE. 2 groups using off the shelf rifle combo, cheapest ammo available, BTW I am no marksman, just an average joe who loves to tap primers. So much for the Remy, my shooting partner shoots an SPS .308, mine is in .223, he got a 1" group.... i guess as long as Savage Axis XP 1 continue to suck, I will continue to buy them and shoot them....That's all... Happy Hunting Guys........

Hotolds442
06-12-2015, 12:56 AM
Next time tell him that since it sucks so bad he should knock $50 off the price tag and see what he says....

blink
06-12-2015, 01:20 AM
yea,they don't seem to like them anywhere.
funny thing is once you go to the range or produce targets they quickly shut up.
it needs a bit of fine tuning to your liking but it holds it's own at the range.
i have 2 buddies with 223,one has a tikka t3 hunter and the other a remi 700 and they both have me set up their guns once they saw the savage shoot.:biggrin-new:

BlueDog
06-13-2015, 11:06 AM
Consumer elitism. Perception of grandeur. Good marketing can influence said perception.

Confession: I too once shunned Savages. My dad only had Remington 700's when I grew up, so my first deer rifle was a clone of his, as was my brother's. (Mine shot the worst of all three.) For years I extolled the virtues of the Remmys. I looked at Savages floppy bolt handle with disdain and disgust. My best friend also enjoyed deer hunting and while he wasn't a "gun guy" he asked me to sight in his rifle and his father's. Of course both were those cheap dirty Savages. One in 30-06, the other in 25-06. I begrudgingly began sighting them in. Both were left handed rifles and I never did stop reaching for the bolt on the "right" side. Long story short, those 'junk' rifles both shot extremely well. Far, far better than mine. I had a $300 scope, they had WalMart Tasco's. I was absolutely astounded and my world was turned upside down. For years after I would say "well they're still junk, but they shoot!". I suppose the jokes on me now, I still have my 700's but they haven't been out of the safe in years. My first Savage bolt gun was a personal game changer and it has seemed to multiply, as now I own 4 Savage bolt guns with an Axis just joining the ranks this last week.

Hello. My name is Sam, and I'm a Savage addict. (Remember, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.) ;-)

Hotolds442
06-13-2015, 06:57 PM
The bolt handle on the left IS the "right" side....

BlueDog
06-13-2015, 07:13 PM
HotOlds I beg to differ! (AND I'm a lefty! But shoot right handed). Muscle memory is a funny thing, I KNEW the bolt was on the left, but everytime I reached for the right (and correct) side. I did construction for ten years, (about 10 years ago) and to this day if I am helping the wife hang a picture or whatever, I instinctively try to put my hammer in my nonexistent hammer loop. Don't get me started on the shifter in the car...

Hotolds442
06-13-2015, 07:36 PM
Even my Avatar shows which way is right.....

big honkin jeep
06-16-2015, 05:39 PM
I hate it but the edge/ axis rifles in my opinion do suck. I sold mine and couldn't get rid of it fast enough and took a beating just to get rid of it. For the same money,and often times less I'll take an old used flat back over an edge/axis rifle any day of the week.

Dennis
06-16-2015, 06:56 PM
I have looked at the AXIS's, but it's something about them that is telling me not to go with it.

mikgarus
06-16-2015, 07:10 PM
I hate it but the edge/ axis rifles in my opinion do suck. I sold mine and couldn't get rid of it fast enough and took a beating just to get rid of it. For the same money,and often times less I'll take an old used flat back over an edge/axis rifle any day of the week.
I also had two Axis and a Ruger American Rifle that couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside. Got rid of all three.

acj7382
06-16-2015, 09:13 PM
I have a Tikka in 308. Picked up Axis in 308 as a project gun to convert to 260. Added bushnell 2.5x10x44 Elite scope. At 100 yards it's shooting neck in neck with Tikka. Cheap and I bought it used and was surprised how accurate. Have barrel ordered and stock. Can't imagine it not being a real shooter afterwards. Both shooting sub moa now.

MrO17
06-17-2015, 06:05 PM
Yah i agree my Savage Axis in 223 sucks. Just look at this 100 yd group. **** fler at the bottom right ruined my group. 52gr BTHP varget 25 gr. And this is not the best shooting bullet! Just one i had a pic of.

MrO17
06-17-2015, 06:06 PM
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af276/jmrosek/IMG_0460_zpsc4zojth3.jpg (http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/jmrosek/media/IMG_0460_zpsc4zojth3.jpg.html)

Sorry forgot pic! LOL It's my BD been drinking!

MrO17
06-17-2015, 06:06 PM
Too hot here to go shooting!

06-22-2015, 07:59 PM
I have looked at the AXIS's, but it's something about them that is telling me not to go with it.

I have 2 savage axis rifles. One in 308 and the other in 223. They both shoot perfectly, sub MOA. Never a problem, never an issue - good, reliable, accurate and well built.

foxx
06-22-2015, 08:38 PM
I don't care for them much myself. However, I did put one in a Boyds laminate classic style stock and I gotta admit, it's not bad. I kinda like it. It has a 450BM barrel from Apache... had to bed the action to make it sit high enough in the stock for the mag to attach properly. I also had to do some trigger work to get the pull down to 3.5lbs, it's not bad. No creep. A lot of work I didn't plan on, but it shoots 3/4 at 100 yds with factory ammo and feels 100% better with a real stock.