PDA

View Full Version : A question for all who use the same action with multiple barrels

pepper savage 111
06-11-2015, 07:30 PM
When you guys swap barrels back and forth, how do you get headspacing exactly the same every time? My conern is that I have fire formed brass and I have settled on a seating depth. Will go/nogo gauges be enough to get back to these measuements so I dont have to FL resize and adjust ojive oal?

Hotolds442
06-11-2015, 07:48 PM
I put an index mark with a "V" letter punch on the barrel nut and each individual barrel, with the points of the "V" facing each other.

You could also loctite a barrel nut to each barrel and just unscrew the barrel with the nut in place. As long as you used the correct loctite, it wouldn't move unless you applied heat.

Nor Cal Mikie
06-11-2015, 07:52 PM
I mark each barrel with masking tape and leave a nut on it. I also mark the action face. Just pop the nut loose and spin on the next barrel. Swap boltheads if needed. I don't bother to use gauges anymore. All of my ammo is home rolled and the headspace is way too snug to use factory ammo. Snug headspace means I don't have to move the brass much to get it to rechamber. And if your fired brass will chamber, size the neck and load it back up. Use your fire formed brass as a gauge. That's what I do but, YMMV, Mike.