PDA

View Full Version : 1996 110 in 7RM Build or move on

timidog66
06-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Hi. I'm looking to rebuild my 1996 7mm RM or replace it. As everybody knows the stock is cheep and to light for a mag. The Barrel is 22 inches and again is short for a mag. It shoots really well so it pains me that I feel compelled to alter it. But, a new stock and barrel are needed and the trigger needs work.

Rebuild or replace?

Any commentary would be appreciated.

Tim

Hotolds442
06-11-2015, 03:43 AM
Rebuild.
Sell your barrel and stock and start over with the action and trigger group you currently have. $300 buys you a very good used barrel and a new Boyds stock. You should be able to get $100-125 back on your old barrel and stock. You can't buy a donor rifle for the $175-200 it'll cost you to upgrade.

timidog66
06-11-2015, 04:38 AM
Hotolds442. Great car. Thx for your reply. I wanted a Bell & Carlson composite stock and a aftermarket trigger. That is where my frustration began. But after doing a little more research is seams there are aftermarket triggers for the savage. There are so many long action savages produced it seems unreasonable that there are not more composite stocks available. I've looked at Boyds stocks and it looks like that's is the way, only way, to go to keep cost reasonable. I've had this rifle since it was new in the box and have wanted to do something with it. I have Weatherbys in .243 and 25-06 and both are heavier by a pound. Crazy that a 7mm RM would come with such a short barrel and such a light stock. I've shot a 300 Weatherby Mag Mk IV and its kick was milder than my Savage. I was looking at the Remington M700 long range as it comes with the Bell & Carlson M40 stock and a 26" heavy barrel. Price was around $800.00 You have encouraged me to look deeper into the Savage.

Again thanks for the reply. I'll let you know how it turns out.