PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: Are the B -Mags here to stay?

Buckeye63
06-10-2015, 07:30 PM
Just as the title states .... What r ur all thoughts ? I just hate to invest in a new set up a poof it is gone !

GaCop
06-11-2015, 06:32 AM
If they are, let's hope all the glitches with them are eliminated.

Willy
06-11-2015, 08:56 AM
The 17 WSM cartridge certainly has potential, however, as stated above, the "glitches" need to be corrected. The 17 WSM does blow the 17 HMR away, but what good is power without accuracy? The B-Mag stock is just a piece of junk and to get a Boyds stock in Canada is rather expensive. I will think long and hard before I buy another Savage, if ever; the stock on my Daisy BB gun is better than the B Mag. Buying American made should not mean having to buy junk.

stomp442
06-11-2015, 07:02 PM
I think if we could get at least one more manufacturer on board with chambering the cartridge it will have much more staying power. If Ruger offered one in one of their 77/17 type rifles I would be all over that in a quality built bolt gun. I am really dying to try the cartridge but every time i pick up a Bmag it just looks and feels so cheaply made......because it is.

Reeseman
06-11-2015, 10:06 PM
I think if we could get at least one more manufacturer on board with chambering the cartridge it will have much more staying power. If Ruger offered one in one of their 77/17 type rifles I would be all over that in a quality built bolt gun. I am really dying to try the cartridge but every time i pick up a Bmag it just looks and feels so cheaply made......because it is.
Ruger is manufacturing that platform in WSM and they are available . They are selling for $750.00 and up . One of my friends has one and it's a very well built gun with wood stock . Typical Ruger trigger though . He's taking care of that shortly . It shoots pretty darn good with the heavy trigger . Tighter groups than my 9 twist heavy barrel B Mag . Quality comes with a price .

stomp442
06-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Wow I guess I should start wishing for more stuff I want.

Willy
06-14-2015, 11:04 PM
I removed the (cardboard) stock from my B-Mag and want to put epoxy in the forearm section. I have tried using JB Weld but haven't found any JB Weld that flows, and you almost need something that flows to fill in the little sections in the bottom of the stock. Any JB Weld I've mixed seems to have almost the viscosity of grease. Any suggestions?

eberris
06-18-2015, 05:23 PM
I purchased a B-Mag with the heavy stainless barrel. I immediately removed the stock and replaced it with a Boyd's thumbhole stock, which is very nice. It is also the stock that Savage is going to be selling with this rifle. Many have complained that the rifle feels cheap and it most certainly does but with a different stock it is a different gun and actually shoots quite well.

There is one very big glowing problem with the BMag beyond all of the other issues that have been well covered since the gun was released. The magazine is a joke. Have you tried loading one? If you have you know what an embarrassment it should be to Savage. It's pure crap. The engineering committee that approved the designed should hide their faces, that's how bad it is.

I just purchase the new Ruger 7717 is Winchester 17 Super Mag and it's a jewel. Yes it costs a bit more than twice what the Bmag costs but it's a fine rifle and the magazines are easy to load. Perhaps Savage could learn something from Ruger or redesign the magazine for this rifle.

I was at a gun shop in Colorado when a customer came in to look at a BMag. He was quite excited and ready to plunk down his money until he saw the clerk try to show him how to load the magazine. He struggled with it but was unable to load all eight rounds. In fact, he quit in frustration.

So, I think the real question isn't if the BMag will remain but rather why did Savage sully their reputation by producing a poorly designed magazine that no doubt will continue to frustrate their customers and also limit the sale of this rifle.

fla9-40
06-22-2015, 05:03 AM
I see where Hornady has come out making this round, But have not found it locally yet. I see MidwayUSA had them the other day.

Mine shot LOADS better with the American Eagle cartridge.

My next steps will be a Boyd's stock and Hornady cartridge.

http://www.hornady.com/store/17-WSM-20-gr-V-MAX