PDA

View Full Version : still on the fence,replacing the stock

Pages : 1 [2]

BlueDog
06-17-2015, 03:52 PM
UPDATE: I stated earlier that my barrel wasn't centered in the barrel channel. I've been studying this stock, with the laminate plys it's pretty easy to see misalignments in the inletting. It's perfect...? So last night I awoke with an epiphany, it's not the stock, ITS THE LUG. So this morning I disassembled the stock and looked down the plys and sure enough, the Boyd supplied lug was indeed off to the right. What would have been an easy fix was compounded by Boyd using what looks like cyanoacrylate glue. Wow, was that thing glued in! I tried muscling it, I tried running a utility knife blade beside it. Nothing worked. I then found a Bic lighter and heated that little bugger up. Once it was hot, I got it to wiggle with pliers, reheated and it popped right out. To verify my theory, I reassembled without the recoil lug. It went together FAR easier, AND presto! The barrel is exactly in the middle. Looks like a bedding job in the near future.

foxx
06-17-2015, 06:27 PM
Blue, I really like Boyds' stocks, and, for the money, I don't think they can be beat. In my mind, they are a great stock that simply needs more work to make them "complete". Having said that, if they installed the recoil lug wrong, I would expect them to correct it or offer some compensation. That is clearly defective workmanship. They intend to offer better products than that. Now, it also might not be worth the hassle. I might agree with that sentiment, as well. If it were me, I'd ask for compensation / adjustment in price then fix it myself... remove it, as you did, relieve the area, bed it with Acraglass in its proper place then bed the action with Devcon 10110. Just my $.02

BlueDog
06-17-2015, 06:54 PM
Foxx, to me it's not worth the hassle. I did chuckle to myself when I theorized that the inletting and shaping was all computer controlled, and the one thing a human was responsible for, gluing in this lug, they screwed it up. "You had ONE job." Lol. I am waiting to hear from CDI to send this stock in for their new (awesome) DBM, so I won't bed it until I get that done.

tufrthnails
06-18-2015, 04:41 AM
I love my Boyd's laminate.
My pillar and bedding thread:
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?42104-My-first-attempt-at-installing-Pillars-and-Bedding-my-111-Savage-270-win-PIC-HEAVY
as far as groups it improved a little where it shines over the composite stock is those weird shooting positions I seem to find myself in when hunting. Off the bench i still pull the front bag pretty far back more out of habit and comfort.

blink
06-19-2015, 12:58 AM
the stock is on hold for a short bit.
ran into a deal on a numbers matching 1854 Russian sks still in the cosmoline with 720 steel core rounds in sealed tin for $200.couldn't pass it up.lol
will be getting the pro varmint in coyote lam and thanks bluedog for the heads up on the lug issue,maybe all the issues with misalignment being talked about is all in the lug.
tufrthnails (http://www.savageshooters.com/member.php?29001-tufrthnails),i will check out the thread as it seems imperative to do bedding.

tufrthnails
06-19-2015, 01:03 AM
One thing I would say on bedding that I didn't cover is to let the barrel sit and cure for longer in the stock before opening. It didn't hurt mine to crack it open after 24 hours, but it seems the popular thought is to wait longer, but man is it hard to do that. I wanted to tear into mine an hour after I put it up to cure.