PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Breaking in and ammo

Gyland
06-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Greeting all,

This past Sunday, I bought a new MkII FV from one of the big box sporing goods retailers. I called Savage Customer Service with a few questions. The answers I got surprised me. I asked:
1. Does Savage recommend breaking in new rifles? Answer from Savage, No
2. Does the type/weight/quality/velocity of ammo matter for break in? Answer, No, our rifles are ready to shoot out of
the box.

I'd like to pose the same questions to the forum, please. Should I break in the barrel? Should I use a specific ammo for break in? Should I stick with the ammo used for break in? Should I cycle the bolt a few hundred times before using the rifle?

Thank you for your time and input.

Gyland

Eric A
06-10-2015, 11:30 PM
Greeting all,

This past Sunday, I bought a new MkII FV from one of the big box sporing goods retailers. I called Savage Customer Service with a few questions. The answers I got surprised me. I asked:
1. Does Savage recommend breaking in new rifles? Answer from Savage, No
2. Does the type/weight/quality/velocity of ammo matter for break in? Answer, No, our rifles are ready to shoot out of
the box.

I'd like to pose the same questions to the forum, please. Should I break in the barrel? Should I use a specific ammo for break in? Should I stick with the ammo used for break in? Should I cycle the bolt a few hundred times before using the rifle?

Thank you for your time and input.

Gyland. What I have found..is that most of my rimfire rifles seem to group tighter after several 100 Rounds have been shot through the barrel....I ve noticed this with the 17HMR , 17HM2 and my 22s... About 2 months ago I bought a Savage FV in 17HM2..shooting this rifle ....I noticed the groups have gotten smaller ...like from 3/4 to under 1/2 inch at 70 yds..my range is only 75 yds due to the landscape..others have referred this as settling in of the barrel.. Usually after a brick of ammo is run through the rifle..the bolt smooths up and trigger seems smoother as well..just my 2 cents..ERic

Gyland
06-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Thanks Eric.

Gyland

Reeseman
06-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Gyland, just make sure to give the barrel a good cleaning before you shoot it for the first time and then fire away . The more that you shoot it the better it will get . Every factory rimfire I have bought new got better after a brick or 2 and I have owned several .

Gyland
06-11-2015, 07:45 PM
Thanks Reeseman.

Gyland

teebirdhyzer
06-17-2015, 09:54 PM
I will tell you that I have the same gun you listed and it turned into a completely different gun after about 1000 rds. I had heard this rumor that this was the case, so I went to the range with a couple bricks and had at it. I just used some hi velocity bulk 500 pack ammo for the break in shooting. I figured the faster the rounds, the more scrubbing they would do in the barrel. After I cleaned the rifle, the groups had significantly improved. Also, read up on the action screw torque. Mine is very picky and shoots best with 16 on the back and 14lbs on the front if I remember correctly....but that's a different story. So, yes, I believe break in, or at least some degree of shooting will help your rifle to "settle in".
Here's my best target at 50yds after the "break in" with some good old CCI Standard Velocity. This is not typical, but it will put up ragged hole/clover leaf groups at 50 if I do my part.
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/fullup3/IMG_1837.jpg (http://s387.photobucket.com/user/fullup3/media/IMG_1837.jpg.html)

Gyland
06-18-2015, 09:11 PM
Hi teebirdhyzer, thanks for the reply. That's so impressive shooting. It's still NIB. Should it be cleaned before the first brick?
Thanks again.

Gyland

teebirdhyzer
06-20-2015, 10:04 AM
I don't think it really matters on a rimfire. I do usually clean all of my guns before I shoot them for the first time though. Savage tends to leave a lot of "crud" in their barrels from the factory as a general rule in my experience. I would like to hear back from you on how it shoots. I would also recommend you trying to get ahold of some CCI Standard Velocity or "SV" ammo. Most of these guns seem to shoot very well with this ammo, and it is great target ammo for the price. Have fun!!

Gyland
06-25-2015, 10:47 AM
Thanks teebirdhyser, I'll clean it before I shoot it. Should I get a torque wrench to correctly tighten the action screws? I'll let you know how it does.

Cheers,

Gyland

JCalhoun
07-18-2015, 09:44 AM
Gyland,

Just keep them snug to hand tight.

As for cleaning, if you just need a routine to by I like to run a few patches down the bore somewhere around the 500 round mark. Otherwise I just wipe down the outside after using it. Old t-shirt with some light machine is all it gets.