PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Dry Fireing

PeterRocco
06-09-2015, 10:47 PM
Hi
Is it ok to dry fire the Mark 2 TR ?
should I buy Snap Caps?
The Thing is when It is time
to Put the Rifle Away I don't want the Bolt in the Cocked Posision.
Could use some Advice.
Thank You
Peter

Robinhood
06-09-2015, 10:59 PM
Index a fired case and pull the trigger. Some quality 22's come with a new 22 case just for that. Ruger 22/45's do too.

PeterRocco
06-09-2015, 11:33 PM
Hi
Thank You.
Will Do.
Peter

Gyland
06-10-2015, 10:07 AM
Hi Peter,

I see on-line that the MkII can be uncocked safely by pulling the bolt all the way rearward, holding the trigger down and slowly moving the bolt into the forward position. I haven't tried it yet (my MkII is still brand new). Some shooters store bolts open to aid in air circulation through the bore (should be oiled lightly). Just my .02.

Good luck

PeterRocco
06-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Hi
thank You.
Once the bolt is out it looks cocked because the Fireing Pin is in.
There is no way to unlock the bolt once out of the gun.
How do you store your rifle. Called customer service not much help.
Thank You
peter

Stockrex
06-10-2015, 11:32 AM
topic has been covered before and the answer before was "yes"

Gyland
06-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Hi Peter, I'll store my rifle uncocked and with the bolt closed.

Gyland

teebirdhyzer
06-20-2015, 10:07 AM
I don't recommend dry firing to anyone, but I tell you that all of my rifles have been dry fired dozens if not hundreds of times. I'm sure it's not benefiting them, but I'm also not convinced it hurts anything either.

savgebolt
06-20-2015, 12:43 PM
ive read where some people use the dry wall inserts for screws and snap caps

PeterRocco
06-20-2015, 03:11 PM
Hello
Yes, I have Bought A Box of Ancors From Amazon. Very Cheep. I'll give them a Try.
thank You For the Help.
Peter

J.Baker
06-21-2015, 03:43 PM
Hi Peter,

I see on-line that the MkII can be uncocked safely by pulling the bolt all the way rearward, holding the trigger down and slowly moving the bolt into the forward position. I haven't tried it yet (my MkII is still brand new). Some shooters store bolts open to aid in air circulation through the bore (should be oiled lightly). Just my .02.

Good luck

Just hold the trigger back when closing (rotating) the bolt down and it will be uncocked and closed.

PeterRocco
06-21-2015, 10:27 PM
Just hold the trigger back when closing (rotating) the bolt down and it will be uncocked and closed.
Hi
thank You. Will do..

Bang
06-22-2015, 10:19 AM
The bolt can be uncocked after removed from receiver. Just grab the rear knob with a pliers, pull and rotate counter-clockwise. This would have to be done anyway if one were disassembling the bolt. Otherwise, closing the bolt with the trigger pulled will uncock the bolt.

Dry firing my FV SR (E receiver) has resulted in an indented stripe well above the 12 o'clock of the chamber. There is no trace of impact at chamber's edge. Still, something in the chain is getting beat up, created by the firing pin impact not being absorbed by the collapsing brass of an inserted cartridge. Absorbing that impact with a spent brass, Ancor, or something is a good idea.

PeterRocco
06-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Hello
Thank You For the Very Helpful information. I Tried what you said I just was able to use my Hands no tool needed.
I was Very Lucky to Read Up on Dry Firing Savages Rimfire Bolt Action Rifles. Also called up Savage and was told No Dry Firing.
I only Dry Fired it Once.
The CZ 455 and Ruger American Rimfires are made to be Dry Fired. It is written Right in the Owners Manuals.
i might of waited and Bought CZ 455 Precision Trainer.
but, wanted to buy a American Made Rifle.
peter

Bang
06-23-2015, 10:47 AM
Firearms get dry-fired unintentionally when the next round you thought was available isn't there. Fear of damage instills the discipline to keep accurate count, or visually monitor the feed if uncertain. But a dry-fire due to unintentional failure to feed shouldn't be a death-dealing blow in a well-designed striker system.

PeterRocco
06-23-2015, 06:01 PM
Hi
I agree. Ruger and CZ Rimfires are made to Be Dry Fired. I don't know why Savage has not resigned their Mark 2 to be Dry Fired?
Peter

sharpshooter
06-24-2015, 12:46 AM
I wouldn't worry about storing it cocked. Even when it is uncocked there still compression on the spring. Springs don't go bad from being compressed, they wear out and lose set from being cycled. Don't worry....it will probably never be cycled that many times in your lifetime.

PeterRocco
06-24-2015, 08:41 PM
Hi
Thank You.