PDA

View Full Version : JDS Quick Measure

mikgarus
06-09-2015, 08:47 PM
JDS Quick Measure. Anybody ever tried one of these?
http://quick-measure.com/

LongRange
06-09-2015, 08:56 PM
Ive never used one but id spend the extra cash and buy a harrells if i was going to spend that kinda money.

mikgarus
06-09-2015, 09:05 PM
harrells are not supposed to be very accurate with stick powder. I've been looking at this one and the Chargemaster 1500, but can't make up my mind.

BillPa
06-10-2015, 10:57 AM
JDS Quick Measure. Anybody ever tried one of these?
http://quick-measure.com/

All measures throw powder charges, but not all powders well. The QM isn't any different

I've been using a QM since '07. The QM works basically on the same principle as the the old Belding & Mull by filling a tube vs a rotating chamber. It shines with extruded powders, not so much with ball and flake.

Like any measure it has it has good and not so good points. One, when raising the tube you have to pause a few seconds to allow it to completely fill. Two, for lack of a better term the brass "washer " used to hold the adjustment screw is quite thin (1/16"?) with few threads which allows the screws to wobble. I've added stuff springs between the heads of the screws and the "washer" to tension the threads and eliminate the slop. A better approach would be a longer threaded boss soldered on for more thread engagement.

Another minor issue, the reservoir is a slip fit on the body and with one errant bump there may be powder laying on the floor or bench however one warp of black vinyl electrical tape holds it on securely.

And of course it's price especially if you add in the cost of the "setting gauge" to set-reset the tubes.

On the plus side charge consistency isn't nearly affected as bad or at all by the weight(level) of the powder column in the reservoir. I've made and use baffles in my other measures but haven't had the need for one in the QM.

Overall it hasn't replaced my other four measures only added another option depending on the powder I using.
Bill

mikgarus
06-10-2015, 11:19 AM
All measures throw powder charges, but not all powders well. The QM isn't any different

I've been using a QM since '07. The QM works basically on the same principle as the the old Belding & Mull by filling a tube vs a rotating chamber. It shines with extruded powders, not so much with ball and flake.

Like any measure it has it has good and not so good points. One, when raising the tube you have to pause a few seconds to allow it to completely fill.

Another minor issue, the reservoir is a slip fit on the body and with one errant bump there may be powder laying on the floor or bench however one warp of black vinyl electrical tape holds it on securely.

And of course it's price especially if you add in the cost of the "setting gauge" to set-reset the tubes.

On the plus side charge consistency isn't nearly affected as bad or at all by the weight(level) of the powder column in the reservoir. I've made and use baffles in my other measures but haven't had the need for one in the QM.

Overall it hasn't replaced my other four measures only added another option depending on the powder I using.
Bill

I would only use it for extruded/stick powders [H4831sc/H4350/RL19]. Have you tried the RCBS Chargemaster? How would you compare them?
Thank you for your info. it's good to hear from people with actual experience.

Two, for lack of a better term the brass "washer " used to hold the adjustment screw is quite thin (1/16"?) with few threads which allows the screws to wobble. I've added stuff springs between the heads of the screws and the "washer" to tension the threads and eliminate the slop. A better approach would be a longer threaded boss soldered on for more thread engagement.
Could you use a small nut?