PDA

View Full Version : New Model 12 Varminter BREAKIN

Pages : 1 [2]

Dusty Dogg
06-19-2015, 07:28 PM
Not sure what you mean PITA? The WD 40 is supposed to neutralize a copper solvent, such as Sweets 762. I've been reluctant to use Sweets in SS barrels, so I've stayed with Hoppes copper solvent.

Dusty Dogg
06-19-2015, 07:31 PM
Hypothetical question for you, BR Dominator, no disrespect intended. Can you say as a matter of fact that your Model 12 would've been anything less than a VERY accurate rifle, had you NOT performed "x" breakin regimen? This is the great irony with "breaking in" a barrel, or not. You never really know how it would've been if you had treated it differently.
Good point, one just doesn't know!

tufrthnails
06-19-2015, 08:09 PM
No expert by any stretch of the imagination. My background in shooting is military. Pristine barrels was ground into my way of thinking. Every day I cleaned my rifle and barrel in country. When I joined this group I had several different rifles and joined the barrel-nut class with my 111 .270. some may remember my issues with large groups when i first got the rifle. I had followed the savage recommended break in and continued my way of cleaning after every range trip and even tried cleaning between shots. I was told to not clean it ever until it started shooting poorly. sure enough a box through it and in closed up to just above 1" at 100 yards. with handloads it has become a consistent sub-moa rifle. recently it opened up to near 2" at 100 yards I cleaned the barrel and decoppered it shot five rounds through it at the house before taking it to the range and the second group was right back to 3/4" at 100 yards. it will shoot 1/2" from time to time but 3/4" to 7/8" is the more consistent group sizes I get out of it. I have scoped it several times just to see the copper grow I am trying to start predicting when accuracy is going to fall off from copper fouling.