PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum sealing ammo boxes

Stockrex
06-09-2015, 08:09 PM
Any one vacuum sealing their ammo for storage?

what are you using and where did you get it?

I bought some ammo from aimsurplus and they came in sealed plastic, 4 boxes in one flat plastic vacuum bag.

fgw_in_fla
06-09-2015, 08:49 PM
Vacuum, no.

Packed in 30cal & 50 cal gasketed cans with silica packs, yes.

Vacuum is too unreliable. One tiny hole and it sucks air in. (as you found out)
Silica packs are cheap and most can be regenerated with the 'ol microwave .

J.Baker
06-09-2015, 10:20 PM
Vacuum bagging won't protect against condensation due to temperature fluctuations. And who has so much ammo they need to prep it for long term storage? If you have that much ammo you're not going out shooting often enough.

Stockrex
06-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Vacuum bagging won't protect against condensation due to temperature fluctuations. And who has so much ammo they need to prep it for long term storage? If you have that much ammo you're not going out shooting often enough.

lol, true, but these are hunting loaded ammo. With the "distractions" I am still dealing with, going hunting is the last thing on my mind unfortunately.

ok, makes sense on the CONS of vacu sealing, I will get some homedepot 5 gal paint containers and store them with desiccant.

Good point on the gasket, I need to check the gaskets on the metal ammo cans the CMP 06 greek ammo I bought last year.

EFBell
06-11-2015, 08:53 AM
I have WWII surplus ammo that goes bang every time. US, Russian, and German. None of which was sealed all that well, like in cardboard, cloth bandoleers and or wrapped in paper...

jbjh
06-11-2015, 04:23 PM
If you are super serious about it, you can also look into nitro-flooding the bucket to displace the air inside

Stockrex
06-14-2015, 06:31 PM
I have WWII surplus ammo that goes bang every time. US, Russian, and German. None of which was sealed all that well, like in cardboard, cloth bandoleers and or wrapped in paper...

is that cuz the mil surplus ammo is sealed and water tight?

Stockrex
06-14-2015, 06:34 PM
If you are super serious about it, you can also look into nitro-flooding the bucket to displace the air inside

Just a few boxes of federals and rws I bought off a buddy, I don't think it will be worth the expense to nitro flooding, I think just getting a sealed 5 gal tub and a pack of rv desiccant might be quick and cheap.

sniper15545
06-15-2015, 06:11 PM
I have been vacuum sealing my 5.56 ammo and also bulk primers for some time now. I use brand name vacuum bags which I purchase at a local butcher shop.

EFBell
06-21-2015, 05:56 PM
is that cuz the mil surplus ammo is sealed and water tight?

Good question... Some of the Russian ammo is lacquered and some is not. None of the US stuff appears to be. The German stuff is not. It's all been kept high and dry by me in my ammo cabinet. Who knows how well it was treated before I got my hands on it, it's all pretty clean though. the US and German is all in bandoliers. The russian stuff is just wrapped in paper. May have been in spam cans at some point?