PDA

View Full Version : what bedding compound to use

Smokestick
06-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Soon I will be getting my new barrel, and trued action from my smith. The question I have is should I use devcon 10110 or acraglass or somthing else. I have talked to a
few people about it and everybody tells me somthing different. I have a choate stock, that needs a lot of filling ahead of the lug, so is one better than the other for my application, or ???, I have studied up on bedding and asked a lot of people a lot of questions, so I think I have a pretty good idea of how to do it, but still not clear on what I should do it with, and I want to be right the first time, so any of you folks, who know please educate me. Thanks a lot.

BarrelNuts
06-08-2015, 11:34 AM
Acraglass, devcon, marine-tex, JB Weld, basically any two part self hardening epoxy that has a good strength rating will work. As far as the actual application goes there are videos available like this one from Midway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOo-_Ss7aIs

Make absolutely sure you have enough release agent (I've used clear shoe polish before that worked really well) on the action and even though it may look like a huge hole that needs a lot of bedding material don't over-fill as it can be difficult to clean up at times and may stain the stock.

tufrthnails
06-08-2015, 01:02 PM
I used Devcon 10110 and probably will never use anything. It was just to simple to change a good thing. I would suggest Brownell's acra-release it makes to clean up super easy because I can see that thin film and know an area is covered Thanks to Foxx for the suggestion.

fgw_in_fla
06-08-2015, 03:27 PM
Last 2 I bedded were with Permatex epoxy - the slow cure stuff.
Release agent - I have a can of Johnson's Paste wax that makes a great release agent and my floors have never looked better.

drybean
06-08-2015, 10:48 PM
Where I live at (6400 ft) Flannel sheets work great

foxx
06-08-2015, 10:57 PM
Alright, beaner, I had to think about that one for a second. It dang near went right over my head!

Question: What do you mean the Choate stock needs a lot of filling ahead of the lug? I would not suggest bedding anything on the muzzle side of lug, it's simply not needed.

barrel-nut
06-09-2015, 12:20 AM
Gotta love ole drybean lol.

My vote is for Devcon 10110. It just works so well.
Also, as foxx asked, why fill in the forend?

limige
06-09-2015, 01:24 AM
ive tried acraglass and like it. tried devcon 10110 and liked it even more. my suggestion is the kiwi neutral shoe polish and devcon. it truly is nice to work with and does a great job

Toyoda
06-09-2015, 04:12 PM
I use devcon, great stuff.
Kiwi shoe polish then a coat of Pam cooking spray.

foxx
06-09-2015, 04:26 PM
If I don't care how smooth the finished bedding job is, (like just bedding a recoil lug) I really like PAM. It's relatively cheap and foolproof because you can spray EVERYTHING and not worry about missing a spot. I find it works better if I spray it liberally then let the excess drip off for about 1-8 hrs. Letting it drip off seems to provide a better finish because the bubbles are gone and it's less messy.

My favorite release agent is Brownells Agra release because it is a spray and it releases so well. It is very expensive, though, if you don't do much bedding because the can is intended for something like 10-15 jobs.

Devcon 10110 is also my favorite material. It can be found online for a lot less than most everywhere else.

limige
06-09-2015, 04:26 PM
good point foxx, what do you mean you plan to fill it? are you trying to close a barrel gap? stock should be rigid as is. only the cheap Tupperware savage stocks need the forearm filled. unless your looking to add weight to the gun.

Texas10
06-09-2015, 05:45 PM
+1^^^

What ever you decided to use, and there are many good choices, just don't go overboard with it. Less is more, in my experience.

JMHO

Your mileage may vary….

bradsc
06-15-2015, 09:54 PM
I just bedded my Model 12 .223. Devcon 10110, Kiwi clear shoe polish, modeling clay and blue painters tape. http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html here is a good article about bedding. My stock has a rear pillar so I just did the action. I did Richardson's method on the lug. This is a really tight fit. I had to pull and wiggle to get the action out of the stock. Prep.....I took a dremal tool, after many deep breaths, and removed about a 1/16 from the fiberglass where I was going to bed. I left a little "lip" around the edges of the factory inletting so the action would go back at the same rough position. Taped everything and filling all holes with modeling clay. Put several coats of Kiwi shoe polish on everything metal. Do not worry, the Devcon will not stick to the Kiwi. You can see the perfectly stamped numbers from the barrel in the Devcon. My groups went from .500's to .400's MOA and got rid of the one shot off by itself not in the 5 shot group. .

Robinhood
06-15-2015, 11:59 PM
As for bedding in front of the Lug I have seen many stocks done this way. The theory goes is the barrel to action junction is the flimsiest part of the assembly and bedding two or three inches forward helps. Not advocating just answering the "Question".

Smokestick
06-22-2015, 11:25 AM
Sorry taken so long to get back Internet issues, my smith told me due to my heavy 1.25 barrel, I should bed in front of the lug some, so action did nt have to fully support the barrel, what you guys thank

barrel-nut
06-22-2015, 01:00 PM
How long is your barrel? Is your action a repeater or a single shot?

Dewey7271
07-17-2015, 11:57 AM
Just an opinion, but after using different release agents I have gone exclusively to Hornady One Shot Case Lube in the spray can. I use it on the reloading bench anyhow and now don't have shoe polish and other crud laying all over. Always had some little issues from time to time with getting the shoe polish into some of the weird places bedding shows up. With the spray, no longer an issue.
Being a spray it gets into the areas where you really don't thin the bedding compound can go (but somehow it does) and the barreled action comes right out. Cheaper than "release agents" sold as that also.
Super easy clean up, just clean the rifle. Done. If you blast it on pretty well nothing sticks which IMO is a very good thing.
Just my 2 cents.

foxx
07-17-2015, 12:10 PM
Just an opinion, but after using different release agents I have gone exclusively to Hornady One Shot Case Lube in the spray can. I use it on the reloading bench anyhow and now don't have shoe polish and other crud laying all over. Always had some little issues from time to time with getting the shoe polish into some of the weird places bedding shows up. With the spray, no longer an issue.
Being a spray it gets into the areas where you really don't thin the bedding compound can go (but somehow it does) and the barreled action comes right out. Cheaper than "release agents" sold as that also.
Super easy clean up, just clean the rifle. Done. If you blast it on pretty well nothing sticks which IMO is a very good thing.
Just my 2 cents.

That's an AWESOME idea! I use Brownells Acra-Release for the same reasons, but the One Shot lube sounds a lot cheaper and just as good.

Dewey7271
07-17-2015, 12:19 PM
foxx,
I've used it on the last five I've done and it is flat easy. Spray it good, stick the rifle in the stock, come back after the epoxy sets, and pop, out it comes. A little CLP or the like and the rifle is clean and ready to rock.
A bunch cheaper also.

limige
07-24-2015, 09:09 PM
shoe polish seemed easy but using some one shot would work well and is on hand already, very nice