PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Bedding a stock

Lorenzo
06-07-2015, 02:36 AM
I have a 93r17 TR that shoots sub MOA groups most of the time but once every other mag or sometimes even every mag there will be one sometimes two horrible horrible fylers sometimes almost paper then the next two shots will stack on each other. I have had first shot cold bore bullseyes and Ive had first shots not even on paper. From some reading online it sounds like the gun needs bedded. I have tried all the different loads finding that the Hornady Vmax does well for me, also tried many many lot number and even bought a case of 500. I mean I have eliminated every other variable. Tried the scope on another gun, sub MOA all day. shot of bench rest (I shoot prone with bipod and rear bag or sometimes off a table with a lip to load the bi pod on.) I have the same model gun in .22 MKII FVSR and I shoot sub MOA with quality ammo everytime if I do my job. I saw a video bedding a Boyds stock with JB weld and the guy said that the TR stocks are possibly made by boyds? I kinda doubt it cause there are slight differences in design but the idea an physics of bedding seem like a good idea and doesnt seem like it could hurt. The idea is to get all the surface area of stock that makes contact with the barrelled action covered with beddding (in this case 2 part JB weld) he put shoe polish on the action to keep the bedding from sticking, wrapped the barrel in one thin spot with tape to get it spaced in the barrel channel evenly, once bedded he taped the gun into the stock with moderate pressure but not with clamps so that when you do tighen the action screw the bedding is still thick enough to bed properly as apposed to squezeing it all out with too much clamp pressure. Am I on the right track?