PDA

View Full Version : 116 blind magazines, staggered or centerfeed?

Bolthead
06-06-2015, 06:39 PM
I have searched until my eyes went wonky, but I still have a question. I am looking at a couple of 116 flat top, non-accutrigger, rifles with blind magazines as potential action doners. They are both online, so I really have no way to look closely, but is there some way to tell if they are CF or SF by looking at the outside of the gun or serial number? I would like for my build to have a DBM when it is done, so it would be handy information to have. Thanks in advance.

Allan

Robinhood
06-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Flat "backs" are stagger feed. The bolt spacing on the long actions is the same regardless of feed design. You can open the bolt and tell what kind of magazine you have also. Why is the DBM important?

Bolthead
06-06-2015, 07:27 PM
Thanks Robinhood. The DBM is more of a personal preference than anything. In all actuality, I would probably be perfectly happy with a blind magazine since I am not looking for a larger capacity mag.

Allan

Bolthead
06-08-2015, 12:19 PM
This morning I "pulled the trigger" on a well used flat back 116 in .270, blind magazine. Can't wait to have it in my hands, but I have to wait for it to be shipped. The action looks to be in good shape as far as I can tell from the pictures, but the old synthetic stock has seen better days. Not an issue. Sales guy said the barrel was good, but that is yet to be seen. Darned things sure are addicting! Hope my old 111 "Chieftain" doesn't get jealous.

Hotolds442
06-08-2015, 01:39 PM
If it's a staggerfeed, there's a stock, 30/06 barrel, and side release DBM assembly in the classifieds for $100
Parts for the staggerfeed DBM would cost you that much, if you could find them.

Bolthead
06-08-2015, 03:06 PM
Appreciate the info. Great price for all of that. The more I think about the magazine choices, the more I am actually leaning towards the blind mag. I have the side latch DBM on my 111 30-06 and in all actuality, the only time I pull it out is when I am cleaning the gun. The more I shoot that gun, the more I tend to either load it from the top, or just feed it like a single shot. Not sure why, just feels good. The immediate goal is to get it home, give it a good cleaning/inspection, throw on a scope and head for the range to see what I got. Can't wait !