PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Rebarrel

Jhoover1973
06-06-2015, 04:04 PM
Has anyone ever re barreled their Savage 99?

Lee Davis
06-24-2015, 05:00 AM
To rebarrel, do you mean to cut a new bore in a barrel, or do you mean to put a new barrel on? To cut a new bore is a loser. Putting a new barrel on can be frought with difficulties, for the receiver parts (such as the brass cartridge counter) need to be matched to the new shell. I once thought that I would become an expert on the receiver parts, but it is hopeless, I think... there is no reiiable info on what interchanges. Lee

lazyjd
06-27-2015, 12:00 PM
I haven't "yet" done this, but I think whether the job is all that difficult depends on what you want to re barrel to. For instance, re-barreling a 99E chambered in .308 to a 7-.08, a 260 rem or a.243 shouldn't be all that much of a problem. The chamber (indeed, the entire receiver) is the same in all cases -- a .308. The only change is a re-barrel to something that has been necked down from a .308. Keep in mind, as I've said, I haven't done this myself -- but I'm seriously considering picking up a 99E in .308 and re-barreling it to .260 rem. Ought to be a fun, and informative, project. lazyjd