PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 FCP-SR vs. model 10 FCP

cdelgado14
06-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Today I was at a gun store and finally came across a model 10 with a 24" bull barrel..Well the SR was $769ish and the other model 10 had the HS Precision stock and was $1450ish..my question is...Does the stock make a big difference?is there cheaper parts in the SR vs in the Precision?should I just go with the Precision if I have to money?

I wanted to shoot anywhere from 4-800 yards.Not competition or anything..just for fun.I haven't got a scope for it either and that's another question I have.what should I go with?

I will also say I feel more comfortable with the SR versus the Precision after holding both.

I put the SR on lay-away with $400 down.i could've payed it all but I haven't done my homework to compare the two and I didn't want anyone else to grab it before I could lol.so I'm asking you guys for help.

Any feed back would help!!

rjtfroggy
06-06-2015, 06:52 AM
Buy the one you put deposit on. A new Boyd's stock will cost you around $110 depending on what extras you want and leave you with enough cash for glass
As for scopes I personally like the Mueller 6-25 or the 8-32 for target others will like something totally different we all have our preferences. For fixed power you can't go wrong with the SWFA scopes at $300, ranging from 6 to 20 power.
Going this way keeps your total $300-$400 under the HS model with glass included.

J.Baker
06-06-2015, 10:55 AM
That depends...

Personally, I would say go with the McMillan since you're looking at long range shooting. The factory synthetic stocks are flimsy and will just give you headaches trying to shoot well at longer distances. They're fine for a 100-200 yard deer rifle, but that's about it. The McMillan will give you a solid platform to work off of right from the start. Last few Boyds stocks I've seen haven't impressed me much with their sloppy inlet and plastic pillars, so they're not exactly the bargain they appear to be. To get one right it will need real pillars installed and a glass bedding job so you need to factor those costs and your time into the price as well.

Some guys just can't wrap their head around the idea that they'd be better off just spending more up front on a gun setup with the features they want rather than buying the cheapest model and trying to add/change the features to meet their needs and end up spending more doing so in the long run. Just look at the number of posts on this site asking how to convert a Hog Hunter to a DBM and you'll see exactly what I mean.

cdelgado14
06-08-2015, 04:44 AM
Thank for the input.i finally got my facts straight.The two im looking at are the FCP-SR & the FCP-HS Prcision.The only difference is the stock as far as I can see.If I'm only guna be able to shoot up to 2-300 yards and be accurate then I'll go with the more expensive gun.So lead me in the right direction.

As far as glass bedding..what does that cost?im totally new to this forum and sport.

When I was there asking about scopes..they led me to a vortex for about $1000.The radicals got bigger and smaller with the zoom.I think it zoomed to a 24 power....?

mjphawk
06-13-2015, 04:36 PM
I have the HS Precision that I bought a few months ago before they started making the SR again. The HS Precisions has aluminum bedding blocks and I have not seen the need to bed it. I also have a Vortex PST 6-24x55 sfp scope that I am happy with.

Bedding a rifle isn't overly expensive but does require some work and experience certainly doesn't hurt. I've done a 22lr in a Boyd's but haven't gotten up the courage to do the 308 since it will require cutting into the bedding blocks to give a better surface for the devcon to hold to and it seems to shoot well as is.

I did have to pay to have the barrel threaded to accommodate my suppressor so that will be extra if you plan to do the same or want a muzzle break.

The SR version could be advantageous of you aren't crazy about the HS Precision stock (some complain about a oversize palm swell). I had no choice at the time since savage wasn't making the SR at the time. I like the stock. I have a Boyd's on my 22lr and think it's great for the money but would want something more for precision shooting in a center fire rifle. The Boyd's stock is made out of a soft wood that I wasn't crazy about.

Based on the prices you showed above I might be inclined to go with the 24" SR if I had a do-over and the barrel contour is the same. Price is about $550 different and the difference would go to getting a good stock or chassis where I didn't have to bed the rifle. I would not have to get the barrel threaded myself either.

One thing to consider also is if you are going to be happy with the Savage magazine. Savages don't have the same flexibility in bottom metal or aftermarket magazines. I don't mind the one that came with the HS Precision but don't love it either. New bottom metal to accept AICS magazines are scarce and pricey but if you are going to want that you should make sure your stock will accept the bottom metal (might be a benefit of a chassis system but haven't looking into it that much).

Good luck.