PDA

View Full Version : I need a bigger gun safe

Rosco
06-05-2015, 07:56 PM
because all of you have given me your Savigitis and have no more room. I only take solace in the fact my fiance' does not know how to get in, if she did I would be at Dean's out back in the doghouse!! 😃

Robinhood
06-05-2015, 09:37 PM
Out back of deans is a lake. You would be "All washed up".

rjtfroggy
06-06-2015, 06:38 AM
If you think you are alone think again. We all do it, or at least 90% do. The big problem is when looking for a safe they say this one holds 21 riles and they do, unless you scope them then it only holds 11 or 12, so you need a bigger safe because now your shot guns don't fit in. My advice when asked is always buy one two sizes bigger than you think you need at the time of purchase or you will regret it down the road.
My regret is I didn't buy a two door the first time (may still do it) or buy and install just the walk through door for my reloading room then build racks with locking cables for the guns.

tufrthnails
06-06-2015, 07:24 AM
LOL I am in the same boat needing a bigger or another safe.

Rosco
06-06-2015, 07:37 AM
I have a 10 gun, but like you said most of mine are scoped so it ends up being a 6 gun!! Deans lake is starting to look good,,,lol

Stockrex
06-08-2015, 09:28 PM
Gun safes are soooo 80s,
you sir need a gun room, I mean a gun vault, envision a walk in closet that your wife is dreaming of, like ones you see in MTV cribs, where few hundred pairs of shoes are lined up in the finest cherry wood ....
now replace shoes with handguns,
and those mink coats with long guns!

foxx
06-08-2015, 11:12 PM
Hmmm.... the back room in our basement is in the corner...
That means I could make a cinder block wall on the inside of the two interior walls and add a steel door... If I can keep my wife outta there she might not ever know what I did.
This might work.

fgw_in_fla
06-09-2015, 07:54 AM
I gave up on gun safes a while ago.
It's easier to have a room to secure the arsenal. A secure door, nice thick reinforced walls, electrified door knob, a little C4 in the right location, and all is well.
The wife & I refer to it as "The Armory".

The unfortunate part is, now its starting to get a little tight & needs to be expanded or maybe an annex in another location...

And I keep telling you guys, if you think the Savage switch barrel syndrome is bad, stay away from AK rifles.
Far away.
Glock pistols, too.

And S&W and Sig, and Ruger and Remington and Mossberg and Mauser and slingshots and.....

BarrelNuts
06-09-2015, 11:02 AM
I'm kicking one of the kids out to build a gun room like what you guys mentioned... now to decide whether its the 5 or the 7 year old that's getting the boot. :eyebrows:

yobuck
06-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Fire is a concern for me even more than theft. A decent alarm system can rout most burglers before they can find the guns
in most situations. The last thing they want is to be caught or even seen by someone hearing the alarm. That said, dont be expecting
cops to be rushing to the scene of a burglery. Its safer for them to arrive after the fact, which is in fact what usually happens. I have several
very good safes but frankly i hate them. I share them with my 2 sons and thats part of the problem. A safe room completly isolated in the event
the rest of the structure is destroyed by fire is in the plans.

fgw_in_fla
06-09-2015, 02:38 PM
I'm kicking one of the kids out to build a gun room like what you guys mentioned... now to decide whether its the 5 or the 7 year old that's getting the boot. :eyebrows:

Which one has the bigger room?

Both have the same size room?
Flip a coin.

Or, have them go for best out of 3 with rock, paper, scissors...

Hotolds442
06-09-2015, 03:45 PM
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y471/chevypowrd/3823db109e1e2ebda23eb968c52b6c22_zpst9nilzot.jpg

Stockrex
06-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Fire is a concern for me even more than theft. A decent alarm system can rout most burglers before they can find the guns
in most situations. The last thing they want is to be caught or even seen by someone hearing the alarm. That said, dont be expecting
cops to be rushing to the scene of a burglery. Its safer for them to arrive after the fact, which is in fact what usually happens. I have several
very good safes but frankly i hate them. I share them with my 2 sons and thats part of the problem. A safe room completly isolated in the event
the rest of the structure is destroyed by fire is in the plans.

you hafta separate the powder/ammo/primer to a diff location, and then install fire sprinkler system or fire suppression system just for armory or all over the house.

Rosco
06-11-2015, 12:03 PM
I will be patiently waiting on pictures of all the gun bunkers you guys are going to build!!

big honkin jeep
06-11-2015, 11:23 PM
A temporary solution is to put em in gun socks so they don't ding each other up and then turn em with one muzzle down and the next one up. You may be able to squeeze a couple more in this way until you get another safe.
Another safe tip is that fire resistant sheet rock from a home big box can be used to add protection in case of fire. It's what many safe companies incorporate into their product for fire protection anyway.

243LPR
06-14-2015, 09:25 AM

That's why they make bunk
beds.

yobuck
06-14-2015, 10:06 AM
you hafta separate the powder/ammo/primer to a diff location, and then install fire sprinkler system or fire suppression system just for armory or all over the house.

Powder should definatly be kept in a seperate area away from guns. It can and does go bad and when it does everything close by turns to rust very rapidly.
Just last year i had an unopened 8# jug of h5010 go bad that was about 20 years old. It completly rusted away the metal lid and the toxic fumes started
to rust everything in the immediate area. Had that happened inside a gunsafe that may not get opened very often it could have been a serious problem.

missed
06-14-2015, 11:00 AM
Powder and primers should never be stored in anything air tight that can hold pressure, you have a bomb in that case.

I have fire sprinklers in the gun room. There are very few safes that will actually with stand a structural fire. A fire fighter I know says the only time they have seen fire safes do there job is if they were in a masonry room with little to no other combustibles or if they had there own suppression system. I went with both masonry, and suppression. I wish I didn't have to use wood on the interior cabinets, but all metal cabinet system was going to cripple the budget. The fire sprinklers were actually not that much money.