PDA

View Full Version : Chrony needed some shade

BowNut
06-05-2015, 06:06 PM
I finally got my shooting lane all set and decided to play with a chrony. Kept getting weird readings and NO readings. Since my bench is under the shade trees, I guess the sun spots shining through were messing up the sensors. Sooo.....with a little lumber I had left from a porch project(which I need to use before the wife has her ideas...) I built a little stand and a frame for a screen. the Screen is a plastic ceiling tile like they use on fluorescent light. just shot three OCW workups and not a single hiccup.
First time posting pics...hope it works.
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo30/bownut1982/20150605_150840_resized_zpswcubd3qm.jpg[/IMG] http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo30/bownut1982/20150605_150853_resized_zps2saeqhlz.jpg[/IMG] http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo30/bownut1982/20150605_150810_resized_zpsbcewx3gv.jpg[/IMG]

MS50
06-05-2015, 11:11 PM
Looks like a nice set-up. I have problems with mine when the sun is slightly behind me. I'm not sure of the mechanics of it all, but the the sun shields provided with my chronograph are pretty narrow. Seems like the sun has to be within a certain range overhead for the shields to be effective. A friend was having problems with nearby shooters affecting his chronograph. The shock was apparently causing blips on his readings. Maybe your set-up would prevent this. It's pretty solid and covered.

sixonetonoffun
06-05-2015, 11:46 PM
Lucky enough to have a 100 yd back yard range too. Still hard to get perfect conditions this time of year. When I can I like to start about 11am suns just about perfect for me then. I have tree lines to the south and west so the sun disappears quickly and early.

BowNut
06-06-2015, 12:43 AM
I originally designed this to set on top of a barrel but decided to put the legs on it since the lumber was available. The clear shade can be slid back and forth or rotated from side to side depending of time of day. The light that hits the chrony is very even, no shadows or bright spots. I had considered a lightweight cloth cover but that requires sewing and the missus wasn't as enthusiastic as me. The plastic sure seems to work anyways.
With the heat here in the summer, I wanted as much of this range under shade as possible.

Robinhood
06-06-2015, 09:17 AM
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo30/bownut1982/20150605_150840_resized_zpswcubd3qm.jpghttp://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo30/bownut1982/20150605_150853_resized_zps2saeqhlz.jpg
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo30/bownut1982/20150605_150810_resized_zpsbcewx3gv.jpg

BowNut
06-06-2015, 10:25 AM
Thank you Sir Robinhood. I followed the caveman picture instructions. I like that much better.

GaCop
06-07-2015, 06:40 AM
Great setup ya got there. I use the same chronograph and really like it.

wingspar
06-11-2015, 12:26 AM
I have the same chrono. Just got it really, and used for the first time last week. Those shades that come with it sure leave something to be desired. I had mine on a tripod, and by the time I took 5 shots, the sun had moved enough to mess things up. I never realized how fast the sun moves. I ended up using the tripod to tilt the chrono enough so that the shades covered the sensors, and that worked. I had it tilted so much that the chrono looked really crooked, but I got good readings. I’ll bet you could hang it upside down and as long as the bullets passed over the sensors in the proper place, I’m thinking the readings would be good. I like your setup, but no backyard range for me. Need something mobile and something like that where I shoot would be a wind sail.

BowNut
06-11-2015, 11:11 PM
Well my first plan involved using the wifes 4 foot step ladder that has a hand rail.....that got nixed when she seen me with the tape measure. It would have been easy to modify, but it was about 12 inches short. my bench is 40 inches high, where the chrony sits is 54 inches to center of V at bore sight level. My only worry now is when the dog follows me to target and disappears....usually one fouler shot in dirt and she's on the porch.

Maztech89
06-14-2015, 11:11 AM
Wingspar you want your chronograph to be as level as possible to get the most accurate speed readings. When you pivot it on a tripod you are shortening the distance between the two sensors that were calibrated for their respective distance apart. Shortening that distance up will give higher velocities than what you truly have. Whether or not it's enough to make a difference to you I don't know, but it's some food for thought. If you mean you tilted it side to side vs front to rear then disregard my blathering.

wingspar
06-14-2015, 10:41 PM
Wingspar you want your chronograph to be as level as possible to get the most accurate speed readings. When you pivot it on a tripod you are shortening the distance between the two sensors that were calibrated for their respective distance apart. Shortening that distance up will give higher velocities than what you truly have. Whether or not it's enough to make a difference to you I don't know, but it's some food for thought. If you mean you tilted it side to side vs front to rear then disregard my blathering.

Side to side.

gotcha
06-15-2015, 09:48 PM
I guess you guys know that if you had a Magneto speed you wouldn't have these problems in the first place. Since it measures a magnetic pulse you can use it in Sun or shade, day or night even during eclipses of the Sun..................... Just sayin'

BowNut
06-15-2015, 10:14 PM
Yeah, but this works for every, handgun, hungting rifle, target rifle and any bow I own. Allows me to switch rifles while one cools without changing setup, And, when I'm done with load workups or such, my scope is set, no tweaking later. Just sayin....:thumb:

gotcha
06-15-2015, 10:22 PM
Don't have any problem using magneto speed with my .45 autos

jlw1974
06-15-2015, 10:31 PM
Nice Setup.

I noticed that my Chronograph also need steady shade so that it would not give the infamous 'ERROR3' message. A 10x10 $36 pop-up canopy tent from a major sporting goods store having an end-of summer-sale did the trick..plus has bonus uses as well. The Chronograph sits on a tripod under the canopy and now works just fine. Although the pop-up canopy is kinda of heavy to lug around all day, its primarily used for a day setup.