PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: Are the B MAG Heavy Barrel Actions different from original Sporters

mtop2007
06-05-2015, 05:31 PM
I have one of the original BMAG rifles with the skinny barrel. It is difficult to cycle the action quickly because it is SOOOO tight. Lifting the bolt is also difficult, which I understood to be the new design. While in a Scheels store recently I cycled the action on one of the newer Heavy barrel rifles and it was noticeably smoother and easier to close. Did Savage change the action? Is there any way to modify my original to make it easier to open and close?

Reeseman
06-05-2015, 10:49 PM
The newer rifles seem to have better machining . I have an early heavy barrel and the bolt is very rough and stiff after lots of use and lubed well . I recently took the bolt apart and polished all mating surfaces . It made a considerable difference. The original surfaces were very rough . A couple of my friends have the new 1 in 8 twist versions and the bolts are a lot better than mine and also shoot a lot better at 100 yards .

Lorenzo
06-06-2015, 02:18 AM
I would take an emery cloth or some jewelers polishing compound to it with rag. i bet the jewelers compound will do wonders. Then I would hit with some MPro 7 gun oil or some Rem-oil.

mtop2007
06-10-2015, 08:35 AM
I thought it might be a chamber difference. When I tried the bull bbl bolt group, in the Sporter, it was just as tight. I forgot to try a switch from the Sporter into the Bull to see if it cycled easier.