PDA

View Full Version : Extractor & Magazine Problems - Solved and shooting 0.75 MOA

rickhollman
06-05-2015, 11:11 AM
As a new member to this forum, just wanted to say thank you. I read through earlier posts as I needed to solve some problems with my new Savage AxisII XP bolt in .308 with 22 inch barrel.
1. After shooting say 100 rounds through this new rifle purchased March 2015, the Detachable Box Magazine (DBM) would fall out of the Mag well during recoil. After doing some reading, the recommended solution was to bend the piece of metal (metal tab) at the rear of the magazine about 1/16 inch rearward (toward the butt end) and the DBM no longer falls out of the mag well (problem solved)

2. After shooting say 100 rounds through this new rifle, the extractor stopped pulling out the spent casings when pulling back the bolt. After doing some reading, the recommended solution was to stretch the spring about 1/16 inch (took two pliers and pulled both ends of the spring), purchased a new ball bearing 3.5mm from VXB Bearing online (sack of 250 bearings plus shipping costs $10.57) and now the spent casings eject just fine regardless of how fast or slow I pull the bolt back (problem solved)

3. I was buying $0.60 per round .308 ammo and was getting 4.0 inch groups at 100 yards (if you can call that a group). Started shooting .308 Federal Gold Medal Match 168 Grain BTHP factory ammo which gave me a nice 0.75 MOA at 100 yards last night at the rifle range (problem solved). It has the accutrigger but no accustock. The synthetic stock comes standard with pillar bedding and barrel is free floated.

For what it is worth, I replaced the scope which came with the rifle which was a Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40 with a Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50 (the Vortex Crossfire is a $300 scope). I am new to rifles and scopes, so nothing to compare to, but the Vortex Crossfire will go up to 24 power (and is usable at 24 power). For targets, I use white poster board (2 foot x 2 foot), and using the scope at 24 power, I can see the bullet holes at 200 yards very easily on the white paper, and I can see a 1 inch bulls eye at 300 yards very easily, and I can kinda see the bullet holes (or most of them) at 300 yards.

Anyway, would not have been able to solve the above problems without the help of this forum, so thank you (any comments or questions are welcome)

Rosco
06-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Good to hear all the problems weren't to difficult to solve and she sounds like shooter. Enjoy it!!