PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a caliber

Pages : 1 [2]

Lorenzo
06-08-2015, 09:54 PM
Yea Im definately pretty well settled on the the .223. now what stock? bell and carlson? MDT? Choate? Boyds? Im thinking a Hog hunder or one of the those predator ones but I dont want a nikon BDC scope and ccamo finish. Just want a heavy barrrel.

foxx
06-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Yea Im definately pretty well settled on the the .223. now what stock? bell and carlson? MDT? Choate? Boyds? Im thinking a Hog hunder or one of the those predator ones but I dont want a nikon BDC scope and ccamo finish. Just want a heavy barrrel.

Then I'd go with a Hog Hunter in 223 and a Boyd's stock. They really aren't bad stocks and they are very inexpensive. If you later want to upgrade your stock you can sell your boyds for probably $25-35 less than what you pay for it now. Pretty cheap price to pay, in my mind, to try something with little cash outlay. Unless you get into serious competition, chances are you won't need anything different.

I say that's cheap because most things you buy on the cheap, like scopes and rings and mounts or rests and bipods, etc., aren't worth what you pay for them. They really are junk. You can never resell them. That's not the case with Boyds.

Bill C
06-08-2015, 11:08 PM
For the exact application you describe, 223 is the perfect choice provided you get at least a 1x9 twist rate. A 9 will stabilize the Hornady 75 BTHP which is an excellent bullets for cutting the wind.

Given that you don't want a camo stock, your current heavy barrel 223 option is a Model 12. It really is a shame that savage cut so many of there 223 offerings. Something to do with AR popularity?

If I wasn't left handed I'd buy one of these RIGHT NOW http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=savage+precision+carbine

Bill

dpollard
06-10-2015, 03:43 PM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is checking out a fast twist 22-250. If I recall when building my last short action the .223 requires a bolt head change if you move up in calibers to say, .243 or .260, 7mm08 etc...not a huge undertaking but still an expense. If you go the 22-250 route you'll already have the bolt face you need for other calibers. The 22-250 with a fast twist (1:8) will allow you to shoot heavy for caliber bullets, such as 80 gr Burgers, SMKs or 75 gr AMAX. Also keeps the noise relatively low and have quite a bit more punch than the .223 at distance.

In the end - you can make any of the suggestions work. I'd say don't spend too much time deciding, pick a route and go, don't look back. As you shoot more you'll begin to refine what it is you want.

foxx
06-10-2015, 05:22 PM
^^^^Excellent!^^^^^^

Burr
06-13-2015, 09:23 AM
Agree with DPollard, with a twist. Since you're interested in different calibers and cartridges, switching out barrels is slightly less cumbersome if you use the same bolt face. But since you also are looking at reloading, the first thing to do is purchase a reloading book or two. The reloading books will provide you with some expected dope on different cartridges to help you make the cartridge decision. I've always thought for people wanting to get into reloading should purchase 2-3 reloading books 6-12 months before reloading to start the education process before the hands on stuff.

Get a couple reloading books, then do what dpollard says.

yobuck
06-13-2015, 09:43 AM
I tend to agree with Bimmer. Buy a gun you can be comfortable shooting. when your ready for another, buy another.