PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Detachable magazine sharp corners

handirifle
06-03-2015, 11:53 AM
On my model 93 and another brand bolt gun I have, the magazine is located right where I want to carry the rifle (balance point) and the mags not only stick out far enough to be annoying, but almost painful with their sharp edges.

I usually shoot my semi auto Glenfield, but it started misfiring on me the other day, so it is benched until it gets a good cleaning, in hopes that will cure the light firing pin strikes.

Has anyone ever done anything to their magazines or rifles to fix this issue? On my other rifle I thought about coating the bottom half with the dippable rubber, but the release is built into the back corner of the magazine, so it can't be blocked.

Too bad something like the Ruger rotary mag cannot be adapted.

Cam
06-25-2015, 08:33 AM
I'd like to try and revive this thread. I have the exact same issue and am about to sell my Savage 17 HMR because of it.

Joe

Hotolds442
06-25-2015, 08:41 AM
One way or another, Savage is bound and determined to make every magazine they ever produce suck in one way or another. I have not found a solution for comfortable carry of my 93R17. So other than shooting around the back 40, the 10/22 gets to leave the driveway.....

Bang
06-25-2015, 11:15 AM
Looking at my (E receiver) FV SR, the 5-round magazine could be very close to flush and still work. If it really bugged me, I would alter the bottom of the mag. The panels are thin and would be easy to reshape. The mag springs out when the release is activated, so there is no need of anything to grab. Shortening it from the bottom would lose the mortises at that level, but soldering would take care of that.