PDA

View Full Version : Resizing issue?

grumpygunguy
06-02-2015, 12:25 PM
I have a Hog Hunter .308 question. When I shoot factory ammo the bolt closes with normal effort. However, after full length resizing those same once-fired cases with Hornady dies the bolt is tight on closing. This is true even after trimming the cases. There have been no over-pressure signs at any time with any of my hand loads or with any factory load. For what it's worth I typically use 168 grain AMAX bullets loaded to 2.800 COAL. So, what's going on here with my resizing?

gotcha
06-02-2015, 12:37 PM
One possible explanation is that you need a small based die. Mark your case with a magic marker, chamber it and see if the case is making contact with the chamber near the base of the cartridge. You could also take measurements just above the web of the case before & after re-sizing to determine if your die is actually reducing the diameter of the case. This is a common problem and one of the reasons small based dies are offered. Hope this helps, Dale

BW64
06-02-2015, 01:50 PM
No offense intended but make sure your die is adjusted correctly to size the full case. It only takes a little short of full to make the bolt close tightly. Don't ask how I know this. :)

BW

alphapygmy
06-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Maybe the shoulder isn't being bumped back far enough during resizing. Grab a Hornady headspace gauge or a Whidden shoulder bump gauge. They won't give you an absolute headspace measurement but they will give you a relative measurement of what's changing before and after sizing or firing.

Robinhood
06-02-2015, 04:07 PM
the last two posters have it.

grumpygunguy
06-02-2015, 04:42 PM
OK. When I originally set up the decapping/resizing die I ran the press to the top and then screwed the die down until the base of the die was touching the top of the shell holder. I have not re-read Hornady's instruction manual because I'm at the office, but I'm pretty sure that's what it says to do. I just read Chuck Hawk's instructions for setting up dies and he says to that but then to lower the ram and to run the die another 1/8 to 1/4 turn down into the press. I think I'll try that and see if it changes. Thanks for the help.

Hotolds442
06-02-2015, 04:59 PM
That should be all it takes to allow proper chambering. After all, those cases came out of the rifle sized to the chamber. Springback has enlarged them enough to make them tight. You're just trying to reduce the size enough so that the springback still allows them to chamber, so even .001 additional sizing will be helpful. That extra 1/8 to 1/4 turn should be the end of your issue.

Bunky-Shooter
06-02-2015, 06:46 PM
I have had this same problem before.. Once you are touching your shell holder you can't get any lower without cutting down the top of your shell holder... They do sell some shell holders
that have been cut down in differ increments.. .001,.002......... you can get some good carbide sandpaper and cut down the top of you holder and take of small amounts then see if it will
allow you to chamber the resized brass. once you have found the proper combination you can put this holder aside for what is known as shoulder bumping... I have had the same problem
with Hornady brass in 308 win... hopefully this helps you out....

wingspar
06-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Just posting to watch this thread. I also have a Hog Hunter in .308 and I am also using the 168 grain A-Max bullets. I’ve only used the Lee Loader, but I did have one round that was hard to close the bolt on and I had to beat on the bolt with my fist to remove the case from the chamber.

I’m very new to reloading and have never used a press, but have one on the way, so I am reading all I can on resizing. Still don’t fully understand it yet.

zdiddy0313
06-02-2015, 10:31 PM
Sizing dies do ware out. That is if you have been using that die for a while. If you have a new barrel, it might not be reamed enough.

There are many different type of SB dies. I always SB my brass. Chamfering might help

When running a sizing die, make sure you set it up to cam over a bit.

eddiesindian
06-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Tight chamber is what sounds like to me. When all else fails, break out the mic. Start Micing spent cases as opposed to your re sized

Robinhood
06-03-2015, 08:20 AM
Sometimes if you mix and match manufacturers shell holders and dies you will run into this problem. Some people put some emery on a flat surface and sand in a figure 8 to remove that .001-.002 to remedy the issue. Obviously a precision surface grinder would be ideal..

SGT_A-RAY223
06-26-2015, 02:26 PM
I'm new to reloading, and had this exact same issue. I read up on it, and figured out that my shoulder needed bumped back. I bought the Sinclair bump gauge head only, since I have a Hornady comparator, and the Sinclair fits in the Hornady body. I measured once-fired factory to get my shoulder measurement, and adjusted my newly-purchased Forster FL sizing die to bump it back .002". Now they all chamber just right, positive engagement, but no resistance camming the bolt closed. Definitely get a bump gauge.

Word of caution, when checking the Interwebs, I read several places that the RCBS FL sizers gave inconsistent shoulder bumps, sometimes even stretching them out. The Forster was highly recommended, so I got it, and have one in maybe every 25 come out only .001" off. Might be a good investment.

Robinhood
06-26-2015, 07:03 PM
Well Grumpy......?