PDA

View Full Version : Favorite animals

kleeber
06-02-2015, 01:07 AM
Kicking back on the deck with some hot salsa, corn chips and a redneck margarita (Fresca and 1800. You're welcome.) and thought I would go way off topic with a couple questions for yall.

What is your favorite mammal, bird, fish and insect, and why?

Here's mine:

Favorite mammal: Giraffe. Got to see them up close and personal at the San Diego Wild Animal Park. Their eyes are black and as big as a tennis ball. Simply amazing beast.

Favorite bird: Humming bird. Have you ever seen one of their nests? About the size of a golf ball sawed in half!

Favorite fish: Walleye. Mmmmm walleye and pancakes for breakfast.

Favorite insect: Praying Manti are pretty cool but I'm glad they don't get as big as a dog since that would be scary as heck. I have to go with the cricket, since I love listening to them on a summer evening. Plus, I have a healthy case tinnitis from shooting without ear protection as a kid, so I get to listen to crickets chirp all the time anyway.

alphapygmy
06-11-2015, 09:27 PM
I'll play 'cause we share a couple favorites.

Animal- Pygmy goats. The wife and I saw some at a zoo on our honeymoon and we really liked their personality. Much less needy than dogs but more friendly and fun than cats. We had several until we moved from the country back into town after we adopted a boy. Ours loved to eat blue poly tarp, junk mail, and our clothing. They were smart enough we trained them to come at a clap signal and headbutt at a hand signal. Is is pathetic that I miss my goats?

Bird-Rufous hummingbirds. We also had a lot of these when we where out in the country. They're migratory so when they came back every year they'd buzz right where the feeder should be until I put it out. They get aggressive in the evenings and I would put the feeder in my lap and I've had as many as 18 birds fighting all around my head-safety glasses a must! They would sit on my fingers and head to protect the feeder from rivals. They also sound like little flying VW beetles and have a unique dive bomb and chirp attack when fighting for mates or territory.

Insect-Praying Mantis. Also from being out in the country with big grassy fields. It was cool to find the little egg pods then 1 inch babies running all over. When they were bigger I'd chase the little kids next door with them. They don't bite but sure look creepy and really freaked the kids out. Come August they would mate then the females eat the males afterwords......

scope eye
06-12-2015, 04:00 AM
Mine is my avatar the Blue Footed Booby, it is living proof that God has a sense of humor.

Dean

fgw_in_fla
06-12-2015, 07:07 AM
Favorite mammal?
Women.

Birds?
Any that are edible.

Fish?
Any that are edible although I do have a special love for the smoked salmon my grandfather taught me how to make.

Bugs?
I hate bugs. Living in Florida will do that to a guy.
I hate 'em all. I REALLY hate spiders. More that anything on this planet, I hate spiders.
I hate bugs so much when we hike thru our swamp I carry my Glock on the right side in a drop-leg holster and a can of Raid in a holster on my left.