PDA

View Full Version : Stock issues and ammo question.

giwdul
06-01-2015, 08:09 PM
on my brand new savage 111 TH, in 30-06, I unboxed it and noticed the left side of the stock was rubbing on the barrel, while the right side of it had a large gap from the barrel to the stock. Basically it wasn't centered. do you expect this to effect accuracy much? I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet because the range I want to go to is closed right now.

Also on a side note, to any of you who have this rifle, what factory ammunition seems to work best for you? Was yours a sub MOA shooter straight out of the box?

short round
06-01-2015, 08:30 PM
Check the tang to see if it contacting stock, if it is remove stock material so it is free floated. Tang touching stock on left side will cause barrel to rub stock on left side.

Hotolds442
06-01-2015, 09:21 PM
You can also loosen up the action screws and center the barrel in the channel while tightening the action screws back down, providing the tang is not making contact as suggested.
Ive had some pretty good groups come out of Remington 165gr CoreLokt in the '06

gvance
06-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Mine is the same way. Savage is sending me a new one, but I went to a gun shop and every Savage rifle except the bull barrell models was the same way.The owner said its the way the rifle sits in the box from the factory.

gvance
06-06-2015, 02:28 PM
I'm so disappointed with the stock I may order a Boyd's anyway .