PDA

View Full Version : What pillars for bedding a 12 BVSS?

sgt_jamez
05-31-2015, 05:14 PM
So I am planning to re-barrel my 22-250 into a 6BR or Dasher. I'm still in the planning stage. I want to use a bench rest stock from rifle-stocks.com and I would like to use radiused pillars. Does anyone have a recommendation for pillars? I've never bedded an action so this is quite the undertaking for me.

As an aside, has anyone here had any experience with stocks from rifle-stocks.com?

drybean
05-31-2015, 11:23 PM
Lamp rod , once it is bedded in it will be

FW Conch
06-02-2015, 09:17 AM
^ +2 ... Lamp Rod, both ends square :-) ^

mudpig
06-02-2015, 09:22 AM
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/pillar-bedding/pillar-bedding-sleeves/adjustable-pillar-bedding-sleeves-prod982.aspx

I've used these on several rifles and they work great.

devildogandboy
06-02-2015, 07:52 PM
another vote for lamp rod!

Bruce

BowNut
06-05-2015, 10:04 AM
I have used standard pipe nipple, 1/4" ?, and radiused the end using sandpaper wrapped around wood dowel. However flat ends will work.
I read too many negatives about Richards microfit(riflestocks.com) so I went with a Bobby Hart from Stockys. Perfect fit except for barrel nut area due to mine had replacement from Jim Briggs. A liitle sanding and it was good to go. it came with standard savage pillars but I still repaced rear pillar to eliminate the large cutout area on theirs. It does not need nearly that much metal removed. I am planing to order one from Richards for a future project since delivery time is not critical. Want a left hand thumbhole for right bolt action and they seem to be only ones that offer reasonable price.
Bedding a rifle can be intimidating first go round but its not that hard....shoe polish(release agent in abundance) IS your best friend!!

sgt_jamez
06-05-2015, 12:16 PM
After reading a ton of mixed reviews of the Richard's Microfit, I decided to go with a SSS. I don't think I want to get a PhD in stock sanding. I really like their patterns though. I already have a Hart LRT and I love it, but I am looking for a Benchrest style stock and Hart sadly doesn't offer that.