PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong???

Tom Thomson
05-30-2015, 07:53 PM
Trying to load some plinkers for my 110 FP. Just some stuff I had laying around and I don't know the brand but they are 110gr jacketed round nose. Cases are once fired Rem. To get the COL I closed the bolt on an empty chamber, pushed a 1/4 wooden dowell down the barrel and made a mark at the muzzle with a razor blade. Then I put a bullet (only) in the chamber, held it up against the start of the rifling with a dowell and made another mark. Using a steel scale and magnifiers I checked the distance between marks to be 2.609. This should be the cartridge OAL. HOWEVER with a 2.008 case length and a .660 bullet length this only puts .059 of the bullet in the case. I'm pretty sure thats not enuf. Watcha think?
tommyt

PaddyD
05-30-2015, 08:11 PM
Trying to load some plinkers for my 110 FP. Just some stuff I had laying around and I don't know the brand but they are 110gr jacketed round nose. Cases are once fired Rem. To get the COL I closed the bolt on an empty chamber, pushed a 1/4 wooden dowell down the barrel and made a mark at the muzzle with a razor blade. Then I put a bullet (only) in the chamber, held it up against the start of the rifling with a dowell and made another mark. Using a steel scale and magnifiers I checked the distance between marks to be 2.609. This should be the cartridge OAL. HOWEVER with a 2.008 case length and a .660 bullet length this only puts .059 of the bullet in the case. I'm pretty sure thats not enuf. Watcha think?
tommyt

I think 110 gr might be too short to try to seat to the lands and still have enough in the neck. Since they're only plinkers you're better off seating to OAL recommended in your loading manual for that size bullet.

Hotolds442
05-30-2015, 08:34 PM
^^^what he said...