PDA

View Full Version : Questions : The new 10 FLCP-SR

fragout
05-30-2015, 05:51 PM
Im looking at this rifle as of late, and have found a few used at decent prices. Also looking at a left hand weather warrior chambered in 308.

My planned use for this project rifle will be target shooting out to 1000 yards, and hunting hogs out to 700 yards reliable.168gr to 175gr match as well as 168gr Black hills Barnes tipped triple shock , and Hornady amax is what Im looming at for ammo.
This rifle will be shot quite often, so I need it to be reliable and precise enough at long range hog dumpin, even as the tube gets warm and into a 2nd 10rd mag....provided my plan works concerning hogs.

I will be using it as a host for a can ( hunting), and plan to use it at closer distances with subsonic loads.

It has to be left handed, chambered in 308, and have a threaded muzzle.

The weather warrior doesn't have threads, but I might have it threaded if I go this route.

Now for a few questions.
Anyone have one? How does it shoot? ( Their website states a 24in fluted med weight tube. Is this correct?
Twist rate? Mags feed reliably? Will AI steel mags function without needing to modify the rifle? Does it come with a scope mount rail of 20moa?

How does it compare to the weather warrior in terms of long range accuracy?
For optics, Im looking to mount a SWFA SS 10X using badger rings. Any other ideas that are around the same $$ ? ( I need a quality set of quick release rings, as the scope will be taken off and replaced with 3gen nvs after sundown.
Any other info would be helpful.

Bimmer
05-31-2015, 04:24 AM
Now for a few questions.
Anyone have one? How does it shoot? ( Their website states a 24in fluted med weight tube. Is this correct?
Twist rate? Mags feed reliably? Will AI steel mags function without needing to modify the rifle? Does it come with a scope mount rail of 20moa?

How does it compare to the weather warrior in terms of long range accuracy?

The search function is your friend...

I have one (not left-handed), and it shoots well. With factory match ammo it easily shoots under 1moa.

Yes, it looks like a "medium" weight barrel, and it's fluted.

Savage's website says 1:10" twist. I haven't checked mine.

There are issues with the Savage 10-round magazines... See other threads in this forum.

The new 2015 FCP-SRs do NOT accept AI-pattern mags. They use OEM Savage mags.

The OEM scope rail is straight — NOT 20moa.

I've never shot a Weather Warrior, so I can't say...

miscverb
05-31-2015, 05:52 PM
I have one and it is one of my favorite rifles. I have a combo of the factory mags and have not had issues with them, i guess i am one of the lucky ones, and also use dark eagle mags. It is a very accurate shooter. I also have a HS precision, but I do like the FCP-SR better, they both shoot extremely well, just my preference. Will probably sell the HS precision one day, and I also have an Axis II in .223 that is a fun accurate gun. As you can see I like the Savage. Good luck and enjoy.

fragout
06-02-2015, 05:38 PM
Tried search function, but it Didnt pull up what I was looking for. In addition, some of what I found raised even more questions about this rifle. Barrel length being one.

Savage website states a 24in bbl, but Im guessing that one can find it in a 20in tube, which is what I prefer......provided it can hold .75moa out to 700 yards or so, and with gt hit sandstorm or fisher suppressor.

Since Savage doesn't make a hog hunter for southpaws, I wanted to look around at other models before moving back to the more familiar remington 700.

HS precision is way over budget for this project, but I want a good shooting Savage factory built rifle to compare to what George at GA Precision built for me.

Optic chosen= SWFA SS 10X

Bimmer
06-03-2015, 01:36 AM
Savage website states a 24in bbl, but Im guessing that one can find it in a 20in tube, which is what I prefer...

You're right that Savage's website is pretty screwy.

It lists both 20" and 24" barrels: http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPSR

Halfway down, on the left side, under "Available Chamberings," there are two "308 WIN" boxes. One is with the 20" barrel, the other is with the 24" barrel.

B.Weaver
06-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Um, I do believe that link was for the FCP-SR, the FLCP-SR only comes with the 24" according to their site....
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FLCPSR

All I've seen so far is the 24" (that's what mine is too) but that don't mean a whole lot

But then again, they could be wrong too I suppose...

fragout
06-10-2015, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the info. Im really interested in a left handed hog hunter, but Savage wont make them as far as I know.

Hey Savage...... I need a stainless steel left hand 308 hog hunter....lol