PDA

View Full Version : First semi Tacticool rifle :)

McKinneyMike
05-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Never thought that I would like the "tacticool" look, but it kind of grew on me so I thought that I would try it out. Just got it back from my smith last evening. 25-06, Shilen Select Match grade 26" SS, SSS Competition trigger, SSS bolt handle, Choate Ultimate Varmint stock, Devcon skim coat for bedding. The stock is a staggered feed model that had to be modified to fit the center feed action/magazine. Works great. My smith cleaned up the action a little bit and it is smooth as glass. He did not even charge me for it! I could tell the difference immediately when I pulled the bolt back. I did not ask him to do it, but he said it was not a big deal. I guess he wants return business :) All work preformed by Andrew Quant of Atwell Tactical in Dallas. Super guy and only charges $10.00 for FFL transfers too!

Hope to start working up loads next week. This my feral hog gun. Got a friend with with 400 acres in Oklahoma that needs them thinned out (i.e. GONE). Thought that would be a good place to see how she shoots.

My new Joel Russo A5-L stock should be ready this week, but I still need to get my target action and new barrel for that build. Still up in the air as to what cartridge I want to use :) Thought that I had made my mind up on a 243, but now thinking about a 6BR or even possibly a 22BR. More choices than money :)

http://themastins.com/rifles/rifle1.jpg

Center Shot Rifles "Muscle Brake"

http://themastins.com/rifles/rifle2.jpg

Choate Ultimate Varmint stock -purchased used

http://themastins.com/rifles/rifle3.jpg

Guess I need to add picatinny rail and rings for the ultimate Tacticool look :)

http://themastins.com/rifles/rifle4.jpg

Harris swivel head bipod is on the way.

http://themastins.com/rifles/rifle5.jpg

SSS bolt handle and Competition trigger set at 1 1/2 lbs. Feels very nice.

Stu
05-22-2010, 05:54 PM
That looks good Mike, i like it. What scope is that? Nikon?

McKinneyMike
05-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Yes its a Monarch 4-16X50. I was going to sell it to purchase a Vortex Viper PST, but decided to just go ahead and use it instead. I am building another rifle shortly that I will put the Viper PST on when its done. The stock that I got from you worked out just fine for this project.

dcloco
05-22-2010, 06:42 PM
MM - very nice "execution" on your build.

Those are nice muzzle brakes as well.

McKinneyMike
05-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks. As long as I can plant hogs out to about 400 yds, I will be totally happy with the whole build. For less than $1000.00 total, I was happy with the final results. Waiting for my Harris bipod now and she is about as good to go as I could have wished for, as long as the barrel is a shooter. Some people don't like the Choate UV, as the grip area is pretty thick, but I have large hands, so I like the grip.

pa hog
05-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Great build! that brake looks good! I'm sure it will help you watch your hits. Is that scope a BDC??

Uncle Jack
05-22-2010, 07:16 PM
I agree, the muzzle break looks good. How does it work....recoil reduction....back blast?

uj

McKinneyMike
05-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Great build! that brake looks good! I'm sure it will help you watch your hits. Is that scope a BDC??

Yes it is a BDC. I bought it back when I thought that it was cool idea, but now wished that I would have just bought the duplex reticle version. It will work just fine though, as the Nikon glass is pretty good overall.
The brake's first port after the muzzle is perpendicular to the muzzle, The following ports are angled back towards the shooter. It works really good :) Loud, but I fired 5 shots today just to see how the gun handled and to check fouling. I am more than a little bit impressed with the brake :) I honestly feel like it has less recoil than my old 243 by a good bit. The rifle is fairly heavy though so that has a little bit to do with the reduction, but it sure does ride nice into my shoulder. There was no perceivable back blast that I felt. Jim See has a good video on his web site that shows the escaping gases exiting at what looks like a good 180 degrees dispersion to the muzzle. I did not have anyone off to either side of me, but I did not sense any muzzle blast towards me at all.

I think my next build will have another Muscle Brake on it too.

Here is a better view of the brake ports from Center Shot Rifles web site:
http://www.centershotrifles.com/sales/img/MuscleBrakes_9820_06.jpg

Description from Center Shot Rifles web site:

"The Muscle brake was designed specifically with the 90 degree first port, to shear the back blast away from the shooter. The concept of this brake was to protect specialty handgun shooters, from the severe concussion/blast effect of traditional angle ported brakes. The benefits of reduced concussion in conjunction with the angled ports will prove popular with magnum rifle enthusiasts as well.

The New 1" dia. Mini Muscle brake, adds 1.1 inches to the length of your firearm, and was designed as a varmint brake for medium to small cartridges burning approximately 50 grains of powder and less. It is threaded 9/16X24tpi. (Can be turned down to approximately .875", or slabbed off by the installer.)

The 3 port Muscle brake adds 1.6 inches to the length of your firearm, measuring 1" tall flat to flat, and 1.25" wide. The 3 port is also available in the round configuration so it can be fit to barrels of up to 1.225" dia. This brake works best with cartridges burning 40 to 95 grains of powder. (Available with 1/2x28, 5/8x24, and 11/16x24 tpi)

The 4 port is 2.5" long and 1.5" in diameter (and can be lathe turned to 1.300" dia. or slabbed off by the installer.) This brake is for the very large cartridges burning over 100 grains of powder, and wears a 11/16" X24 tpi thread.

The Muscle brakes are made out of 416 SS, and hardened to 30 rockwell. The benefits of the Muscle brake are; increased recoil reduction, reduced concussion compared to typical angle port, and radial port brakes, and the brake to barrel joint can be tapered and blended for a seamless appearance."

McKinneyMike
06-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Finally had the time and weather to get in some shooting yesterday. Right from the start the rifle was grouping tightly, even with factory ammo (still have not had time to start any reloads). Grabbed a box of shells at Academy and loaded up the truck for Oklahoma. Got there really early and set up at approx. 100 yds according to the scope focus. Fellow shooter with 460 acres and I spent the better part of the day punching paper.

The new rifle was a dream off the portable shooting bench that I recently built. I am so pleased with the rifle and the new Muscle Brake worked to perfection. My friend also brought along a 25-06 among other rifles so we could get an idea as to how the brake compared to a non-braked 25-06. My new rifle just seemed ride back into my shoulder with minimal recoil compared to his standard 26' barreled rifle with similar barrel dimensions. The side blast was apparent if you were closer than about 60 degrees to the muzzle and could be felt as far as about 20 feet either side. Definitely do not want to shoot to close to other shooters at the range.

Fired 2 3-shot groups at 50 yards to dial in the scope and then out to approx. 100 yards to see how she shot. It was immediately clear that this gun could shoot. Very first 3-shot group was clustered in a tight group of approx. 1/2" with factory loaded 100 grain cartridges. Adjusted the scope and fired another 3 shot group. Again a nice tight group and now getting scope closer to zero. One last 3 shot group to check out the zero and again a nice tight group. Barrel cleaned up quickly and very little fouling.

Quite happy so far and looking forward to working up some reloads to see if I can get her to really sing. Wanted to try it out at longer ranges, but the heat was getting too hot for my old butt so we decided to call it a day.

Had my friends daughter with us so we had her shooting a 22 rifle and she was enjoying it from the look on her face when she got to see that her shooting was improving with each session behind the rifle. All in all a wonderful day outside and enjoying the weather, a good friend and hopefully building interest in shooting for the young lady. A little sun burnt but a great day by all means.

Uncle Jack
06-02-2010, 11:35 AM
When you dicide to trade "up" to a Vortex, let me know. I just might take that POS Nikon off your hands.

uj

McKinneyMike
06-02-2010, 01:37 PM
When you dicide to trade "up" to a Vortex, let me know. I just might take that POS Nikon off your hands.

uj

I never said it was a POS :) I said that I wished that I would selected the fine crosshair option instead. There is a difference UJ :) The Monarch has damn fine glass in it.

Uncle Jack
06-02-2010, 04:28 PM
".....The Monarch has damn fine glass in it."

I know. I own four of them.

uj