PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Anyone Shooting A Savage 93FV-SR In .17 HMR ??

billt
05-28-2015, 03:41 PM
http://www.championfirearms.com/Savage-93-FV-SR-16-5-Heavy-TB-17HMR-96699-p/96699.htm

Not from Champion, but I've got a line on one of these from my local dealer for $289.36 plus tax and shipping. I like the heavy barrel and the threaded muzzle if I want to install a brake or a suppressor down the road. I've had very good luck with all of my Savage rifles, and I'm looking to get one in .17 HMR. I was originally looking at the B-Mag in the new .17 WSM, but after reading about the problems and mediocre accuracy everyone seems to be griping about, I think I'll stick with the .17 HMR. That cartridge has a better, more well proven track record. I was just wondering if anyone here is currently shooting one, and what you thought of it accuracy wise? Thanks in advance.

GaCop
05-29-2015, 07:40 AM
Can't help you in regards to that particular model but, I do have a heavy barrel 93r17 in the wood stock that is a tack driver with the CCI TNT 17 grain HP. On a calm morning, I can get 1/2" groups at 100 yards and sub MOA grouping at 200 yards (1.950"). For best accuracy, I advise you to weigh each round and segregate them into piles of equal weight.

Eric A
05-29-2015, 07:57 AM
http://www.championfirearms.com/Savage-93-FV-SR-16-5-Heavy-TB-17HMR-96699-p/96699.htm

Not from Champion, but I've got a line on one of these from my local dealer for $289.36 plus tax and shipping. I like the heavy barrel and the threaded muzzle if I want to install a brake or a suppressor down the road. I've had very good luck with all of my Savage rifles, and I'm looking to get one in .17 HMR. I was originally looking at the B-Mag in the new .17 WSM, but after reading about the problems and mediocre accuracy everyone seems to be griping about, I think I'll stick with the .17 HMR. That cartridge has a better, more well proven track record. I was just wondering if anyone here is currently shooting one, and what you thought of it accuracy wise? Thanks in advance.

I don't have a threaded muzzle FV -SR but own similiar Mark 2 and 93 heavy barrel models in the 17HM2 and another in 17HMR..Both are very good shooters accuracy wise.. Both rifles have Weaver scopes in 4 x16...the classic series. Two things that help with pin point shooting is a great trigger and good optics....Tuning the accu trigger was a big help in both these rifles..And I agree...I'd wait on buying a 17 B Mag..I think you'll find the 17HMR will give you better accuracy ..I think if there were more loadings in the 17WSM.. the cartridge might be more accurate in various rifles chambered in that round.. just my 2 cents..

Rooster 50
05-29-2015, 09:41 AM
I have that rifle in 22HMR. I shoot the Hornady 30gr ballisitic tips in it and like it a lot. The accuracy is good. Easily as good as my standard 93-17hmr.

Smacked the crap out of the prairie dogs earlier this spring out to 150 yds

billt
05-29-2015, 09:54 AM
Many thanks for all of the timely comebacks!

03mossy
05-29-2015, 10:37 AM
Im going to agree with everyone else that's replied. I have had the 93r17 fvss for a few years now and it is by far the most accurate factory gun I have. Im a big fan of the platform and ever more so of the cartridge!

billt
05-29-2015, 10:54 AM
Im going to agree with everyone else that's replied. I have had the 93r17 fvss for a few years now and it is by far the most accurate factory gun I have. Im a big fan of the platform and ever more so of the cartridge!

That's reassuring to hear!

teebirdhyzer
06-17-2015, 10:00 PM
I have a 93r17gv that I bought about 5 years ago. I was my first Savage and the beginning of an obsession. I still take it out to shoot often, and it shoots great! They are very fun and super accurate