PDA

View Full Version : One gun multiple barrels

Pages : [1] 2

Lorenzo
05-28-2015, 12:31 AM
Id like to get a .308 that takes detachable mags, that can have barrels swapped out. I want to be able to shoot .243,7mm08,.308 and maybe .260. is this possible with any of the production savages if I get an aftermarket stock?
I am not familiar with how the barrels are removed, can any 110 gun have the barrel changed out?

Hotolds442
05-28-2015, 12:53 AM
Not only possible, but commonly done. Any Savage 10/110 using a barrel nut can have a barrel swap done, usually in less than 20 minutes.

fgw_in_fla
05-28-2015, 01:11 AM
Stop lying to the guy.
Nobody makes a rifle that can swap out barrels of similar cartridge type & size and besides, none of us here do that kind of thing.

We all buy one Savage rifle per caliber...

J.Baker
05-28-2015, 02:20 AM
Switch barrel rifles used to be pretty popular, but with all the cheap bolt guns (Savage Axis, Ruger American, Remington 783, etc) hitting the market in the last 6-8 years there is really no point in it. For what you pay for a good aftermarket barrel you can buy another complete rifle and save yourself the hassle of having to change out the barrels.

FW Conch
05-28-2015, 06:41 AM
But, going that route, you get a factory "noodle" barrel and a "Tupperware" stock.

Just Sayin :-)

fgw_in_fla
05-28-2015, 06:52 AM
But, going that route, you get a factory "noodle" barrel and a "Tupperware" stock.

Just Sayin :-)

Noodle?
Well, ya gotta start somewhere. I think most guys will find out what so many of us have in the past.
It never ends.
You start out with a rifle you THINK you're happy with until you find a good deal on a barrel.
Change one barrel and its the beginning of a lifelong addiction.

But you do have to admit it is fun. :/

bsekf
05-28-2015, 08:37 AM
It is a terminal illness! I was going to have one action and several barrels, no sweat changing them. Just got my 4th action yesterday. At least I am smart enough to stick with one action size......so far!

It is easy to change barrels, however keep in mind that it is easier if you remove the scope and you will have to re-zero and your headspace will change a little. I put index marks on the barrel and nut to make it more repeatable.

Bill

fgw_in_fla
05-28-2015, 09:22 AM
It is a terminal illness! I was going to have one action and several barrels, no sweat changing them. Just got my 4th action yesterday. At least I am smart enough to stick with one action size......so far!

It is easy to change barrels, however keep in mind that it is easier if you remove the scope and you will have to re-zero and your headspace will change a little. I put index marks on the barrel and nut to make it more repeatable.

Bill

That's where I started some years back. I thought 2 actions and a couple barrels would be more than adequate.
Then came reloading.
Then I needed different calibers because I saw how economical it was making my own ammo.
Then I was shooting more. Much more.
Then I had to make more ammo, needed more powder, more dies...

Then, one day I was bored with the calibers I had.

BUY MORE BARRELS IN DIFFERENT CALIBERS!

Then it started all over again.
When I thought I reached a plateau with bolt rifles, along came AK47's.
Then Glocks.
Then more reloading.

Somebody needs to talk this kid out of barrel swapping before he ends up like one of us.

jpdown
05-28-2015, 09:36 AM
Switch barrel rifles used to be pretty popular, but with all the cheap bolt guns (Savage Axis, Ruger American, Remington 783, etc) hitting the market in the last 6-8 years there is really no point in it. For what you pay for a good aftermarket barrel you can buy another complete rifle and save yourself the hassle of having to change out the barrels.

Great! A new itch for my addiction, the "switch rifle stock".

Lorenzo
05-28-2015, 08:49 PM
So the answer is yes? I can get a .308 hog hunter, a stock that takes deteachable mags, then get some other barrels and use the .308 mags for .243, 7mm08 and .260?

Lorenzo
05-28-2015, 08:54 PM
id rather pay for a quality heavy barrel of the length I want than get a sporter barrel on a cheap gun.

teebirdhyzer
05-30-2015, 10:33 PM
Yes you can! and it is fairly easy once you do your research on here!!

Lorenzo
06-10-2015, 06:41 PM
If I got a .223 gun what other caliber barrels could I get? what other cartridges are based on or similar to .223?

scope eye
06-10-2015, 07:09 PM
This is one of my stashes, I have 20 some odd savages rifles and they all have 3 barrels for each action, I need serious help I am full aware of it.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b536/jazzygirl44/bunch_zpskjt0xnex.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/jazzygirl44/media/bunch_zpskjt0xnex.jpg.html)

Dean

Hotolds442
06-10-2015, 08:29 PM
If I got a .223 gun what other caliber barrels could I get? what other cartridges are based on or similar to .223?
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?264-What-Fits-Cartridge-List-(PDF-version)

Hotolds442
06-10-2015, 08:30 PM
This is one of my stashes, I have 20 some odd savages rifles and they all have 3 barrels for each action, I need serious help I am full aware of it.
Dean
So are we brother......

fgw_in_fla
06-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Hey while we're on the subject of extra / spare barrels, what do you guys do with barrels that are used up? Like barrels that have 3-4000 rounds thru them?
Like my 25.06 barrel that has so much throat erosion I can't extend the bullet far enough to touch the rifling.

I have quite a few barrels that are used up but still shoot. What do y'all do with them?

Tomato stakes?
Bumper jack handle?
Pry bar?

My wife made a few suggestions but I can't list them here. I'll get in trouble with the boss.

scope eye
06-10-2015, 09:04 PM
What I have done many times in the past is, lets say you have a 308 that is shot out, I then turned it in to a 30-06 and when that was toast I turned that same barrel into a 300 Win Mag, every time the case goes deeper into the barrel and the reamer cuts out all the nasty and gives you a fresh start. a fresh chamber with already broken in rifling it does not get much better than that, it is another alternative to setting back AKA rethroating. and that class concludes our lesson for today.

Dean

fgw_in_fla
06-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Geez, I had to stand & salute after reading that.

Good info as usual Deano.

Beats the suggestions my wife made.

drybean
06-10-2015, 09:58 PM
Hey while we're on the subject of extra / spare barrels, what do you guys do with barrels that are used up? Like barrels that have 3-4000 rounds thru them?
Like my 25.06 barrel that has so much throat erosion I can't extend the bullet far enough to touch the rifling.

I have quite a few barrels that are used up but still shoot. What do y'all do with them?

Tomato stakes?
Bumper jack handle?
Pry bar?

My wife made a few suggestions but I can't list them here. I'll get in trouble with the boss.

For you really old Gents , thread a nice handle on it to turn it into a cane
works great for keeping the grand kids away