PDA

View Full Version : My First Attempt

everege
05-27-2015, 07:22 PM
I have a Model 10 Predator Hunter, Max-1 6.5 Creedmoor. I want to rebarrel the gun, the most work I have ever done to a gun before is mounting scopes, installing triggers and installing new stocks. I did build a real sharp Ruger 10/22 from scratch...I don't think that counts. I was considering a Apache 26" SS Bull barrel with 1/8 twist. I think the tools and parts I need are a Barrel Nut Wrench, Action Wrench, go-gauge or go-nogo-gauge and a Barrel Nut and Recoil lug. If I'm correct my gun has a small shank. If any of you knowledgeable shooters out there have any suggestions, corrections, critisicions and advise I would truly appreciate it.
Gene

BarrelNuts
05-27-2015, 09:15 PM
The list you have there should be it. You can skip the no-go gauge by putting a piece of tape on the back of your go-gauge (plane old scotch tape is fine). Also, make sure you have some anti-seize lubricant to apply to the barrel threads before threading it into the action. I haven't had any experience with Apache's barrels, however everyone on here I've seen who has says they are shooters and they have a solid reputation. The only downside is that the ordering timeline can be lengthy; something he is very up front about. What you didn't mention was the caliber you are going with...

DrThunder88
05-28-2015, 03:30 AM
You should be able to reuse the factory lug, though it'd be a good time to upgrade to a precision lug. The smooth barrel nut is better off replaced with a lugged nut, in my opinion.

Going to a bull barrel may also mean widening your barrel channel if the factory barrel is varmint profile. I suspect yours is a small shank gun. Very few models are large shank, as I recall, and they are mainly the target actions and those chambered in WSM or RUM cartridges.

everege
05-28-2015, 05:43 AM
Thanks guys for the advice. The caliber I'm shooting is a 6.5 Creedmoor. I do understand that Apache has about a 4 month wait and that's OK, funds are slow due to oldest daughter starting college this Sept. Barrel channel will be close, my stock is a Bell and Carlson Medalist. Any ideas where to buy the parts and tools ? I was thinking Northland..The size of the shank was a concern but I read exactly what DrThunder88 said, I'm assumming small.

GaCop
05-28-2015, 06:17 AM
Thanks guys for the advice. The caliber I'm shooting is a 6.5 Creedmoor. I do understand that Apache has about a 4 month wait and that's OK, funds are slow due to oldest daughter starting college this Sept. Barrel channel will be close, my stock is a Bell and Carlson Medalist. Any ideas where to buy the parts and tools ? I was thinking Northland..The size of the shank was a concern but I read exactly what DrThunder88 said, I'm assumming small. You can't go wrong dealing with Jim at NSS. Yes, it is small shank.

BarrelNuts
05-28-2015, 05:48 PM
You can't go wrong dealing with Jim at NSS. Yes, it is small shank.

I'll second that... Jim has what you need at fair prices and will actually spend the time to talk to you to make sure you get what you need as well as give tips and pointers. If he has it on the shelf its out the door to you in no time... Great people to do business with.

everege
05-29-2015, 05:28 AM
Thanks GaCop and BarrelNuts, Jim at NSS sounds like the way to go, overall opinion on this site ditto's that.

badmutha6
06-18-2015, 01:52 PM
I'll throw in with Jim as well. I just started a thread from having finished my build. Shoots lights out and is totally worth the wait.

scooterf79
06-22-2015, 12:11 AM
These guys are telling you right. Jim at NSS is a class act and great to deal with. I bought my tools and first barrel from him. Jim at Apache is also great to deal with. Ive dealt with him quite a bit in the last several months....not a negative word can be said about him or his work. As already stated, the wait time can be a little lenghty, but that seems to be the pattern with all your good smiths.
Good luck and keep us posted on your build!
Just so ya know....you are heading down an addicting road....just forewarning you 😉
Scooter

hookahbruthaup
06-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Definitely get the upgraded lug.