PDA

View Full Version : 3000 fps 17 Centerfire?

Pages : 1 [2]

missed
05-29-2015, 09:30 PM
At the end of the day ,you will have more money invested in a .17 centerfire than what it costs for .17 HMR ammo. You'll spend lots of dollars to save a few cents.

That is how I felt after building my 17BR. But the 30 grain bullets at 4000fps was nice.

I see your on the central coast. I have killed thousands of ground squirrels with 22lr. If your worried about your neighbors 22lr is tough to beat. I don't think my 17BR was any quieter the the 17HMR I replaced it with.

handirifle
06-01-2015, 11:22 PM
At the end of the day ,you will have more money invested in a .17 centerfire than what it costs for .17 HMR ammo. You'll spend lots of dollars to save a few cents.

Except that I would also need to buy a rifle chambered for a 17 rimfire cartridge as well. So it would be pretty much a wash. Maybe cheaper to build if I find a reasonably priced barrel, dies, and brass.

Don't know if they have in the past, but Savage does not currently offer a 17 centerfire, in any rifle.

I emailed Accurate Arms about reduced velocity loads in the 17 Fireball with AA5744 and this is what they wrote back. I included their disclaimer since I am re-posting their suggested load data.

Their starting load is just a tad up from the HMR and below the WSM. No idea what accuracy will be like. At least now I know it's doable, without going to a wildcat round, so I will be keeping my eyes open for parts in the future.

Here is the requested load data that will work for you.

Caliber: .17 Remington-Fireball.

Case Volume: ca 1.331cc (ca 20.5 grain of H2O)

Barrel length: 24”

Powder: Accurate – 5744®.

Bullet weight: 20 grains.

Start load: 10.0 grains (ca 2770 Fps)

Mid load: 14.0 grains (ca 3678 Fps)

NOTES:

It’ important to note that SAFETY is our prime concern therefore we strongly recommend.

1. TO ALWAYS BEGIN LOADING AT THE RECOMMENDED MINIMUM “START” LOAD and develop loads in 2% increments towards the MAXIMUM load.

2. CAUTION: Beware of double charging if the loading density is below 50% of the available volume.

Examples:

Ř Most Handgun caliber/powder combinations as well as

Ř A-5744 with reduced loads for rifles.

3. If possible, measure the velocity and correlate with our data.

handirifle
06-01-2015, 11:28 PM
That is how I felt after building my 17BR. But the 30 grain bullets at 4000fps was nice.

I see your on the central coast. I have killed thousands of ground squirrels with 22lr. If your worried about your neighbors 22lr is tough to beat. I don't think my 17BR was any quieter the the 17HMR I replaced it with.

Yea I have killed about 300-400 here so far between my 22LR and my WMR. Of course the WMR make a pretty loud report, so it was only for long range stuff with good solid backgrounds. Along with report is the desire for bullet fragmentation, AND ammo availability. I just cannot find it here, and do not have the option of the sunrise line waits to try to get it.

I will in the meantime experiment with AA5744 and Trail Boss in the 223 and see what happens there. I THINK I still have some 45gr Vmaxes that were designed for Hornets. Might try those. Also think I still have some Barnes Varmint Grenades to try also.

handirifle
06-01-2015, 11:51 PM
Well I looked. I have 35, 40, and 45gr Vmax out there but the Varmint Grenades were 6mm, so that doesn't help.

handirifle
06-02-2015, 12:04 AM
Does Trail Boss smoke? How about AA5744, anyone ever use that?

JASmith
06-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Does Trail Boss smoke? How about AA5744, anyone ever use that?
No more than the usual smokeless powders. The stuff is made to have very low density couple with reasonable burn rate.

The kernels look like miniature washers with a hole in the middle to complete the resemblance.

Here is nice instruction sheet published by IM±R± Powders: http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

missed
06-02-2015, 10:16 AM
Have you ever thought about heavy varmint 22 bullets sub sonic to keep the noise down? 55 grain blitz kings subsonic I bet would knock the heck out of them quietly.

handirifle
06-02-2015, 11:00 AM
It doesn't take much to kill em. I want fragmentation, to prevent ricochets. Heavy bullets at low speed would be like the 22LR I think. My goal is between the 17 HMR and 17 HM2 speeds with light bullets that will have flat trajectories and high frangibility. Also I want to keep the noise level low. Don't get me wrong, I have one neighbor that shoots them with his 20ga shotgun. I hear practice shots all the time around here, so it's not like someone gonna call the cops, but I just don't want or need a 4000fps ear blast. My hearing is diminished already :)

handirifle
06-02-2015, 11:01 AM
JASmith
Thanks I think I actually have a can of it but never used it....yet.

missed
06-02-2015, 11:03 AM
When I lived in ca I used to use the hot rod 17 and 22 calibers approaching the speed of light. Partially just to piss my neighbor off.

JASmith
06-02-2015, 07:13 PM
JASmith
Thanks I think I actually have a can of it but never used it....yet.
You're welcome!

A couple of weeks ago, my sons and I messed iwith Trail Boss in the .17 Hornet. We tried to emulate the noise level of a CB cap. Primer only did not get the bullet (.177 lead ball) past the forcing cone. Going to 0.7 gr of TB got it out of the 10" barre pretty reliably with not much noise.

We found that he 20gr Hornady VMax needs 0.9 gr.

We are pretty sure that both loads are subsonic.

A rifle with a longer barrel would be very close to the CB cap noise levels but might push supersonic.

handirifle
06-02-2015, 09:04 PM
I was hoping to rebarrel one of my rifles this morning to a 223 and load some test runs up, but other work needed done more. I did get some 22LR time in and discovered my trusty semi auto started misfiring. Most likely the bolt needs a good cleaning, but for now it is sidelined. I have a bolt gun that loves the subsonics, so I made a new flashlight mount (It also gets rid of raiding coons that try to kill my cat or take it's food) and sighted it in. What I need to do now is make a switch to squeeze when the time is right to light em up, instead of having to move my hand u to the light.

earl39
06-07-2015, 10:41 PM
With flame suit on. Have you considered a good air rifle? Not a spring loaded break action but a true solid barrel air rifle. Sheridan/Benjamin or spend a little more and go Airforce and i am sure there are others. Choice of 17, 22, and 5mm ammo.

handirifle
06-08-2015, 01:34 AM
Actually I have, but unless you have a high pressure compressor, there is a big associated cost to go with rifles like the Airforce. Plus I can imagine max range is 50yds on a good day. Sometimes I go out to 100.