PDA

View Full Version : Short Mag Short Action

silverbullet_99
05-25-2015, 05:20 PM
Fellow Savage fans, I need some help. I know Savage did small shank Ultra Mag actions, but did the ever do small shank WSM actions? I am building a short action magnum round and would prefer to do it on a small shank stagger fed action, but I am unaware if they ever made such a creature or if I would have to "make" one. Heck if you have such an action and have grown tired of it pm me and let me see if I can talk you out of it. I appreciate all help you gents can offer. Thank you in advance!!

Hotolds442
05-25-2015, 08:55 PM
A short action magnum bolt face from any of the WSM's can be used to turn a small-shank action into a Magnum. I have 2 small shank WSM rifles, and am contemplating a third. The part numbers for the bolt heads are in the FAQ's, last page. The problem with the stagger feeds is that you will need to use a controlled feed bolt head in order to get it to feed, and you'll have to machine the recess for the standing ejector, which is mounted to the receiver instead of the bolt head. You'd be better off selling that action and using a centerfeed action.

silverbullet_99
05-25-2015, 11:09 PM
Ok did they ever do them as a small shank or just large?

Hotolds442
05-25-2015, 11:29 PM
The very first ones were built on small shank actions.