PDA

View Full Version : Axis trigger

Pages : 1 [2]

daddyusmaximus
07-29-2015, 08:16 AM
When I was researching trigger mods it was suggested to "drop test" the rifle. After cutting 1.5 coils and getting the feel I was after, I dropped the unloaded rifle several times on the floor to see if it "went off". It never did, so I feel confident it is safe. Just to be sure I never walk around when holding a loaded weapon unless it is on "safe". Most designs are made so it is easy and quick to disengage the safety.

IUOE-Mike
07-29-2015, 08:38 AM
When I was researching trigger mods it was suggested to "drop test" the rifle. After cutting 1.5 coils and getting the feel I was after, I dropped the unloaded rifle several times on the floor to see if it "went off". It never did, so I feel confident it is safe. Just to be sure I never walk around when holding a loaded weapon unless it is on "safe". Most designs are made so it is easy and quick to disengage the safety.

I did the same, couldnt get it to go off.

pisgah
07-29-2015, 11:36 AM
I did the same, couldnt get it to go off.

A couple of other worthwhile tests:

Rifle empty, open and close the bolt violently several times. Be sure that slamming it closed doesn't trip the sear.

Rifle empty, work the bolt hard, then put the rifle on safe. Pull the trigger as hard as you can, let it go, then push off the safety. Do this several times, make sure the sear isn't tripped by going off-safe. Do this one more time, but after taking it off safe dryfire the rifle and note if there is any lightening of the trigger pull versus just a normal cock-on-safe, off-safe-fire cycle. If it passes all tests you should be good to go.

DrThunder88
07-29-2015, 02:40 PM
You're likely to get slam and bump fires, in my experience, from messing with the sear engagement. When I shim the sear, the first thing I check is its resistance to shock. So far 0.010" seems to be the most widely applicable shim thickness for safety and elimination of creep. Oddly, I even tried transplantating the shimmed trigger from one rifle into another and it worked just fine!

rfd12fv
07-30-2015, 05:48 AM
imho, the axis is not just another bottom feeder cheapo rifle, it's a solid core platform of action and barrel that begs mods IF you want to increase performance beyond its stock tupperware configuration and you realized this before you plunked down the $300, and ya planned for mod (mad?) money set aside.

who hasn't taken an axis to a different and better place? new stock, new trigger, really Good Glass, muzzle brake, cdi dbm & mag, etc - and all the cartridge loading gear (if ya don't already have it). before ya know it that 300 buck rifle is now well over a grand ... or more.

shoots better, more accurate? absolutely.

looking and feeling better? totally.

SO, you want proven reliability without the fear of screwing up an important safety issue? then spend the money and get a drop-in timney trigger. what's another hundred bucks wisely spent?

or just replace or cut trigger springs, but messing with the sear in any manner is not for newbies.

Russ77
07-31-2015, 05:26 AM
I'm pretty new to rifle shooting. Are there any people that like the stock trigger pull better?? Also why doesn't savage just equip the rifle with a lighter trigger pull in the first place?? Originally I was planning on going with the axis 2 having read so many great things about the acutrigger. But I decided to go with the heavy barrel and finding my one scope instead. I'm thinking I will try the stock trigger for a while and then decide if I want to change it

rfd12fv
07-31-2015, 05:39 AM
once you've pulled a really *good* trigger, your last post's question about the axis will be immediately answered and you'll see the shining light.

the reason for that axis hb heavy trigger is to keep costs down and allow the customer to modify as need be, which is why there are timney triggers and diy trigger mods.

imo, the accu-trigger is nowhere near as good as a timney,

DrThunder88
07-31-2015, 07:32 AM
I had always chalked the reason for heavy triggers up to liability. Someone somewhere must have done a study showing that triggers with x newtons of pull and y millimeters of sear engagement are safe for 99.9% of idiots.

I also recall seeing somewhere that Savage rifles were specified to have a minimum 0.015" of sear engagement. It seems that 0.005" gives a nice, clean break that is still bump safe with reasonable spring compression. This adds up with the Axises I've had, since a 0.010" shim (or somewhere in that neighborhood) usually works just fine.

pisgah
07-31-2015, 12:44 PM
I found the original triggers of my two Axis rifles to be tolerable, but seeing the decent accuracy I was getting and knowing how much a really good trigger can contribute to the shooter being able to exploit all of the accuracy potential of a rifle, I opted to do some mods. I have since tried a couple of Axis 2 rifles with the Accu-trigger and, frankly, I prefer my modified triggers. As to why they didn't put in a better trigger to begin with -- cost, simplicity of manufacture, safety pretty well sum it up, I think.

IUOE-Mike
08-01-2015, 09:54 AM
I went ahead and ordered a Timney from EABCO, had the best price I could find on one @ $95.. my "budget" Axis is already sitting at just under 1k whats another $100.. lol

daddyusmaximus
08-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Had my Axis out today. I felt the tiniest bit of grit today in the trigger for the first time. The Timney or Rifle basix don't require any inletting mods to the stock do they? I'm still impressed with it as is. My wife, who bought it for me, also bought two boxes of TullAmmo steel case crap. Groups as big as my outstreatched hand. PMC Bronze, and American Eagle, cute little clover leafs. Now, what to do with a box and a half of crap ammo...

rfd12fv
08-01-2015, 09:45 PM
Had my Axis out today. I felt the tiniest bit of grit today in the trigger for the first time. The Timney or Rifle basix don't require any inletting mods to the stock do they?

drop in, piece of cake - you'll wonder why you didn't put one in from the get-go ... promise.

I'm still impressed with it as is.

but it can be *SO* much better ........

My wife, who bought it for me, also bought two boxes of TullAmmo steel case crap. Groups as big as my outstreatched hand. PMC Bronze, and American Eagle, cute little clover leafs. Now, what to do with a box and a half of crap ammo...

give it away to the less fortunate and build yer own ammo, its easy, will be incredibly more accurate, will cost far less and the savings can go into buying even more primers, powder and bullets - the brass just gets reused over and over and over and ....

http://i.imgur.com/fkTgFZU.jpg

daddyusmaximus
08-02-2015, 12:30 AM
What trigger spring do you use with the Timney? I've already cut my factory spring.

rfd12fv
08-02-2015, 05:18 AM
What trigger spring do you use with the Timney? I've already cut my factory spring.

the one that timney provides. they even include an extra C clip in case the axis one gets flipped into a dark hole. :cool:

anyone can install an axis timney trigger, even my 11 year old grandson, all by hisself.