PDA

View Full Version : 7mm mag 110 problems

John campbell
05-22-2015, 09:56 PM
I bought a used preaccutrigger that was in a wood stock. The first thing I noticed when I got home, was that it was touching the stock on the left side but a huge gap on the right side. I sanded down the left side and could shoot a group tat was decent with around three shots and then it would wildly shoot 5 or more inches away, unexpectedly. I would let the barrel cool for at least five minutes or so, after the three shot group. I finally decided to buy a choate stock that was 110 new. The instant I put it on and tightened the stock screws, it instantly had the barrel rubbing on the left side of the stock again. I ended up opening it up so much, that it doesn't come close to touching anywhere on the stock now. I've shot over 120 dollars in ammo trying to get this **** thing figured out. The last three shot group I shot, about a month ago, I had it sighted in at 200 yards and it grouped around 2 inches. I put the gun in a locked gun case and pulled it out to shoot another group with the last 2 shells I had left, before I start reloading for it next week, but both shots that I took of one very steady rest, grouped exactly 12 inches high and both shots were spaced 5 inches apart from each other. The scope is an excellent swfa scope that I just mounted on it about 2 months ago. I'm at a loss what is wrong with it, because the bases are loctighted and torqued down. The stock is also torqued down 35 pounds on each screw. Should I just cut my loss and get rid of this piece and buy a new one? I think that either the barrel must be bent or possibly the action is not true to the barrel. The barrel shouldn't of been touching on the left side on both stocks like that. I thought about buying a new barrel, but why? I could waste another 200 bucks or more on a barrel and not gain anything. Please help give me some advice. Does anyone have a factory take off 7mm mag barrel that they would part with on the cheap side? I was thinking of going back to a rem. 700 again, but really don't want to give up on this quite yet.

short round
05-22-2015, 11:22 PM
Check the tang to see if it is touching the stock, most shoot better with clearance between stock & tang.

sixonetonoffun
05-22-2015, 11:34 PM
Pillar & Bed the stock, including recoil lug mating surface only. Float the tang. If point of impacts not stable after that revisit the bases and mounts.

Also if you haven't clean the bore with a good copper remover I had one with 40 rounds on it couldn't shoot more then 8 rounds before it fouled with copper. Changing the point of impact like yours. Finally about 100+ rounds later. (Finally broke in and stopped mining copper.)

John campbell
05-23-2015, 06:55 AM
I bedded the recoil lug and yes all copper was scrubbed out and it took forever to get it all. How come no one seems concerned that the barrel was touching on both stocks on the left side? I had to remove almost a 1/16th of an inch on that side to keep it for touching.

sixonetonoffun
05-23-2015, 08:26 AM
Thats what lead me to think it wasn't bedded.

John campbell
05-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Yeah it's bedded

John campbell
05-23-2015, 10:41 AM
I'm wondering if the action is drilled crooked

sixonetonoffun
05-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Temperatures ? I found rem 175gr cor-lokts shot great @ temps below 40°F and shot gunned above. By great I meant 1"-1 1/2" vs. 6"+.

John campbell
05-23-2015, 01:05 PM
Give or take a few degrees these last two shots versus when I sighted it in. No wind was a factor either.

John campbell
05-23-2015, 06:02 PM
How do I post a picture? I wanted to post 3 pictures to ask if the barrel mating to the action looks normal. Did I post something wrong on my previous reply btw? I'm using a Mobil phone.

Robinhood
05-23-2015, 08:04 PM
Someone may have twisted the action trying to take it apart incorrectly. Take the action out and lay a straight edge (yardstick will work) and lay it on the side of the action. Try the other side. Screw the action screws back in and look at them from the muzzle end. They should line up.

Robinhood
05-23-2015, 08:05 PM
John. to post a picture you need to have an only photo storage account. Photobucket is a good one.

John campbell
05-23-2015, 10:36 PM
I downloaded photobucket bucket but apparantly not bright enough to get the pictures uploaded to it. I can say that I took your advice and used a steel straight edge and I believe it all looks ok. I also decided to use the dremel and make absolutely sure that it's free floated. If it is warped, it's so close that I cant visually tell.

John campbell
05-23-2015, 10:39 PM
In my pictures it showed how the barrel mated on one side and it looked gapped ever so slightly on the right side and top but it may just be because the action is rough cut. I have no other to compare it to