PDA

View Full Version : is there an ambidextrous stock available

blink
05-21-2015, 11:23 PM
was looking for a stock that is ambidextrous.thought about the boyds pro varmint but see others are having issues with them cracking and the rest of their stocks are either thumb hole or have a raised cheek rest on them that i can see.

Rooster 50
05-21-2015, 11:30 PM
B&C Medalist can be converted very easily

foxx
05-22-2015, 02:08 AM
Boyds has left handed stocks for right handed bolts. Also, some, such as the "Classic" handles very well on the left even if it has the cheek piece for right hand shooters. Also, I would not worry about the stocks splitting, that is easily fixed or prevented, but that's another story covered elsewhere.

blink
05-23-2015, 08:23 PM
foxx,that's exactly what i need,a left handed stock for right handed rifle but saw nothing listed?must be a custom job?but if it's doable,i'm interested.

foxx
05-23-2015, 08:59 PM
Before they changed their web site I had bought a few of them. They were listed as "left hand stock, right hand action.". What model are you looking for? Which action do you have?

blink
05-26-2015, 02:09 AM
i have an axis xp,long action i believe,in 223.
the thumb hole is my first choice,as i use it 95% for target shooting.

blink
05-27-2015, 12:49 PM
called boyds today,nothing available in right hand action left hand stock.the only ambidextrous stock they have is the pro varmint.:sour:

blink
05-30-2015, 10:21 AM
guess the axis 223 is actually a short action.now i know.lol

yobuck
05-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Ive been a lefty for 80 years and i can furnish a few answers. You might not like some or maybe any of them.
First off many things dont come easy and especially for leftys. A right handed (wood) stock with a right hand
thumbhole and cheekpiece can be an easy fix. Just eliminate the cheekpiece completly without lowering the comb.
You can add an aftermarket adjustable cheekpiece later if you like.
As for the thumbhole, open the hole to a larger size first. Then reshape around it so that its comfortable for you.
What you will end up with is a left/right thumbhole. A Dremel with a few various type bits is about all the tools you need.
You can also make a thumbhole from a non thumbhole stock. So whats an old wood Savage stock worth anyway?
Ive even added a cheekrest on a larger benchrest stock that requires close scrutiny to detect.
We actually prefer the left/right thumbholes on some of our guns due to different handed people using the same gun.