PDA

View Full Version : 10 fcp-sr for deer and hog hunting?

Dakotabaker98
05-20-2015, 11:56 PM
I did a search and found nothing on this. Im new to the forum and so far have got some great info. Im looking at getting the 10 fcp-sr with the 20inch barrel to replace my current deer rifle..... a mossberg atr... yeah i know. a ATR.
Anyways, any thoughts on this being a deer rifle? Im not worried about the weight as i ride a four wheeler or walk a short distance to and from my stand. but is 20 inch barrel long enough for hunting and would this be adequate. Also has the magazine issue been fixed? If so how do i know if my gun is coming with the updated magazine? Thanks!

darkker
05-21-2015, 04:11 AM
The 308 doesn't lose much velocity in shorter barrels, compared to many other cartridges. In any case it still had plenty of energy to kill any deer you will amble across. I shot just short of a mile with a 20" 308. Despite what the rags will tell you, you don't need hyper velocity to get there.

Sorry, can't help with magazines, I'm a blind mag guy.

Bimmer
05-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Also has the magazine issue been fixed?

I think it's a non-issue.

I did some bending on the catch of my OEM 10-rounder (it took about 45 seconds), and now it stays in the gun without self-releasing.

They're all a bit iffy about holding 10-rounds, but mine works well enough.

Also, standard Savage 4-round mags fit and work perfectly, and if you're deer hunting, then you probably just want to buy one of those.

390fe
05-31-2015, 06:32 PM
I will second darkker's opinion of the 20 inch .308 barrel, it will work fine.