PDA

View Full Version : Nosler brass in 260.....bummer

Pages : 1 [2]

BarrelNuts
06-04-2015, 11:12 AM
LongRange... would you attribute the extra FPS to the added 2 to 4 inches of barrel or are you loading that hot... doesn't seem like 43 1/2 gr. of RL-17 is an extreme dose of gogo in the .260 case?

alphapygmy
06-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Sorry to add to the thread hijack but... I have a Criterion 28" bull 260AI that's doing around 3100 with Berger 140 BT-LR and around 44 grains Rl17. No pressure signs, easy bolt opening, and 9.5 MOA come up at 600 yards. I've tied my best 600 yard league scores with this load but I'm worried about it burning the barrel fast so I don't use it much.
Thread jack complete, back to topic for me. Why choose Nosler over Lapua? I'm just curious, I've never tried Nosler brass.

LongRange
06-04-2015, 05:26 PM
LongRange... would you attribute the extra FPS to the added 2 to 4 inches of barrel or are you loading that hot... doesn't seem like 43 1/2 gr. of RL-17 is an extreme dose of gogo in the .260 case?

2 things...extra inches and to fast a burn for the barrel.

Sorry to add to the thread hijack but... I have a Criterion 28" bull 260AI that's doing around 3100 with Berger 140 BT-LR and around 44 grains Rl17. No pressure signs, easy bolt opening, and 9.5 MOA come up at 600 yards. I've tied my best 600 yard league scores with this load but I'm worried about it burning the barrel fast so I don't use it much.
Thread jack complete, back to topic for me. Why choose Nosler over Lapua? I'm just curious, I've never tried Nosler brass.

i normally shoot lapua but tried some nosler because of all the threads ive seen saying nosler was junk....i had 17 loads on 50pcs of nosler brass in a 300wm so that was also a reason i tried the nosler in 260.

sorry for the jack Eddie... if you guys want to talk more about this heres my thread feel free to post here...
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?44309-30-quot-criterion-report

jerry shaw
06-26-2015, 11:51 PM
My experience with Nosler brass was not good. As noted above, primer pockets loosened even when loaded modestly.
I was able to obtain some Lapua brass and never looked back.

eddiesindian
06-27-2015, 01:51 AM
Roger that jerry. I only purchased 100 pieces of nosler. I'm starting to get loose pockets on about 5 pieces. They have but a mere 4 firings on them and the load is light to say the least.
I've already prepared my once fired LC 308 down to 260. They work like a charm and have shown no signs of primer pocket issues .
I got with nosler and they wanted to make it right. I told them thanks but no thanks.
I merely wanted to advise them of what I found.
Imo........there brass is full retail plus. Over priced!

JCalhoun
07-18-2015, 10:58 AM
I bought 100pcs of the Nosler .260's when they first hit the market. I have about 5 loadings on them now and a few are just showing some loosening of the primer pockets. I have never had any brass problems from them though.

I was tickled to death when they became available as they are much better quality than the Remington cases I was using.

Everybody has bad cases get through. I bought 50 Lapua .308's a few years ago and half of them were unusable due to overly small primer pockets. Just recently I had brand new Winchester .243's with cracked necks and mismarked case heads (.243 cases with .308 headstamps) in the same bag.

eddiesindian
07-18-2015, 06:13 PM
I bought 100pcs of the Nosler .260's when they first hit the market. I have about 5 loadings on them now and a few are just showing some loosening of the primer pockets. I have never had any brass problems from them though.

I was tickled to death when they became available as they are much better quality than the Remington cases I was using.

Everybody has bad cases get through. I bought 50 Lapua .308's a few years ago and half of them were unusable due to overly small primer pockets. Just recently I had brand new Winchester .243's with cracked necks and mismarked case heads (.243 cases with .308 headstamps) in the same bag.
holy cow......243s with 308 stamping?.......not good...
I totally agree as far as bad cases getting thru. it happens but at there price range?....just doesn't fit well with me.
I developed a good load with them so Ill use them until I cant anymore.
Sure do wish Id of found the gent out of Concho AZ that preps once fired LC 308 down to 260 sooner.

JCalhoun
07-31-2015, 11:23 PM
Yep.