PDA

View Full Version : new purchase xp yrophy hunter

cobra handler
05-20-2015, 07:33 AM
new to the forum. Just purchased a new trophy hunter in 223. Would like to know good and bad about the rifle. Also cleaning and lubing. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

BarrelNuts
05-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Well, since I'm a bit of a pessimist I'll start with the bad: if it is a bottom bolt release DBM model finding an aftermarket stock might be a bear, and the smooth barrel nuts are a filthy hooker to try to get off if you decide to do a barrel swap.

Now the good... I own the same model in .25-06 and with good hand loads am able to get about .75 inch groups at 100 with the factory set up as long as I don't shoot more than about 3 shots in a string. All in all I would say they are a pretty solid value and for an out of the box hunting rifle I have no complaints except the Tupperware stock, which can be fixed with some epoxy bedding, filling the hollow buttstock, and a good paint job.

As far as cleaning and lubricating goes there are about as many different opinions on the matter as there are shooters on the forum, my recipe for success in hunting rifles has been to wipe down with a clp after each hunting trip on the metal parts. If I shot it I'll run a few clp soaked patches down the barrel. After range days I'll use a copper remover in the barrel.

congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the club!

jsmith
05-20-2015, 01:45 PM
I bought the exact same rifle and I made several changes:

1. If you do nothing else, change the cheap scope mounts/rings. They're garbage.

2. Buy the replacement bottom metal for the trigger guard, magazine cover, and metal frame. Will run you about 130 bucks but it's totally worth it.

3. After you get the bottom metal, buy a new stock. The one it comes with is like tuperware. I got a Boyd's laminate.

If you decide to make any of these changes, I have the part numbers. Just let me know. After I was finished, I felt like I had a whole new gun. The thing just feels solid.

Slappie
07-14-2015, 12:00 AM
I bought the exact same rifle and I made several changes:

1. If you do nothing else, change the cheap scope mounts/rings. They're garbage.

2. Buy the replacement bottom metal for the trigger guard, magazine cover, and metal frame. Will run you about 130 bucks but it's totally worth it.

3. After you get the bottom metal, buy a new stock. The one it comes with is like tuperware. I got a Boyd's laminate.

If you decide to make any of these changes, I have the part numbers. Just let me know. After I was finished, I felt like I had a whole new gun. The thing just feels solid.

What are the part numbers for the metal parts? I have been looking for these online and can't find em. No can't find the metal trigger guard with the front bolt release anywhere.

Thanks

Lincoln4
07-21-2015, 04:38 PM
I'm looking for the same thing the DBM surround. I can't find it on the Savage website. Do you need to call them?

limige
07-22-2015, 12:13 AM
try sn H5905285 for the needed parts on savage part finder

limige
07-22-2015, 12:14 AM
I have
trigger guard 105897
frame 107325
mag base 106102
screws 102527 102993 107426

devildogandboy
07-22-2015, 09:45 AM
try sn H5905285 for the needed parts on savage part finder

for anybody trying to find these parts, the correct # is H590528.

Bruce

Lincoln4
07-22-2015, 03:48 PM
Ok, I think I got the parts finder figured out. Thanks all.

Lincoln4
07-24-2015, 01:12 AM
Well, I didn't... Can't order parts that were not stock on your rifle by clicking on the diagram. So I called. Bit of a long wait on hold. However the customer service guy new exactly what I needed and hooked me up. My stainless bottom metal should be here in a couple of weeks!

limige
07-24-2015, 01:44 AM
thanks devildog, not sure how that happened

devildogandboy
07-24-2015, 10:23 AM
no problemo.

Bruce

Lincoln4
07-24-2015, 12:54 PM
Knowing the part numbers didn't even play into the equation. With your rifle's serial number they know exactly what parts you need. I was impressed by the customer service and knowledge. Assuming I end up with the right parts. LOL! $122.00 for all stainless parts and shipping.

limige
07-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Lincoln, if you use the sn given you can order parts online without calling and hoping the other person understands you. i'm not sure where you had issues trying to order online, that's what I did and I finished the conversion about six months ago. love the SS bottom metal, with pillar bedding its good to go. unfortunately I found out my barrel has some issues. every hand load I shot was .75-1.2 moa. I loaded up a tubbs final finish kit and plan to fire lap shortly.

youll love the new parts

Lincoln4
07-24-2015, 09:34 PM
I used my serial number. According to the diagram, you can't click on non-original stock parts. When I hovered over the stock parts numbers, I could click on them and put them in my cart. However, when I hovered over the non-stock parts numbers, (the DBM surround) they were not clickable. Therefore I couldn't put them in my cart...

limige
07-24-2015, 09:43 PM
right, that's why I posted the sn devildog corrected. with that number you can order the metal ss parts you wanted.

Lincoln4
07-24-2015, 09:44 PM
Well, it sure sounded like the customer service guy had handled this question a time or two. I'll post up if there was an issue, but it sounds good for now.

icker96
07-25-2015, 11:40 AM
I have this rifle and it shoots awesome!!! It shoots MOA at 100yds with 5 different bullet weights that I have tried from 52 gr-69gr, using 5 different powders. The stock sucks, and I would replace it ASAP. I'm not sure why people keep talking about all of the expensive bottom parts that are needed. It might be because I am too naive to know any better, but I bought a Boyd's laminate stock and called Savage about the bottom plate. I bought bottom replacement from Savage for very little money ($20-$30). It has worked fine. Of course, I also bought and installed a lead-sled because I load my bullets long and single feed instead of using the magazine. FYI - I bought the Pro Varmint stock and it added a significant amount of weight to the gun. If this will indeed be a field gun, I would not recommend that particular stock

As far as cleaning...do not overdo it. I shoot somewhere around 50 rounds each trip to the range and run a bore snake through mine every 3 or 4 trips. Every once in a while, I will do a full cleaning. I do, however, do a basic cleaning of the bolt each time using a CLP, and then put a touch of grease on the lugs, and all places where metal touches metal in the bolt operation.

The "bad" about the gun is the cheap stock and possibly the barrel contour. If this is going to be a field gun, the contour is fine, but if it is going to be a range gun, you have to use some patience between strings. The barrel will definitely heat up if you shoot to much too fast.

Lincoln4
08-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Well, customer service set me up great. I received exactly what I needed within 5 business days. I'd forgotten how "positive" the formerly OEM DBM surround holds and releases a magazine. Awesome. However, now I'm thinking that black plastic trigger guard needs to go!

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o161/twlongtine/19564149504_9c06a6acd0_o_zpstvakxrpf.jpg (http://s120.photobucket.com/user/twlongtine/media/19564149504_9c06a6acd0_o_zpstvakxrpf.jpg.html)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o161/twlongtine/19564137404_d53ce1d729_o_zpsipcdovrr.jpg (http://s120.photobucket.com/user/twlongtine/media/19564137404_d53ce1d729_o_zpsipcdovrr.jpg.html)