PDA

View Full Version : Bedding Putty

BigBlueandGoldie
05-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Gents,

Im looking to do my first bedding job, and wanted to know what you guys recommend for putty to fill bolt holes and create dams, etc.?

I have heard to use modeling clay.... but from what I can tell that stuff comes in like 5lb packages and I just need a little bit. What are some good substitutes; plumber's putty, play-doh? I would prefer to get something from Home Depot as it's right next to my house and I need to make a trip there anyway.

Thanks!

trappst
05-20-2010, 10:12 PM
modeling clay works for me.....I pick it up at walmart. it's the colored stuff for the kiddies.

The only places I use the modeling clay are in the barrel channel forward of the recoil lug, behind the front pillar and in front of the rear pillar in the mag well. I also use a little behind the rear pillar in the area around the bolt release.

All other holes, etc. are taped off with regular masking tape. Tape gets a couple coats of kiwi neutral shoe polish prior to bedding with Devcon Steel putty.

Blue Avenger
05-21-2010, 08:36 AM
I use play doh. :)

trappst
05-21-2010, 08:56 AM
I've used play-doh before and it works fine but it dries out and shrinks quickly. My bedding jobs usually take a few days from start to finish due to interruptions at home so I prefer the modeling clay since it won't dry out.

To remove either, I get the big stuff with a hobby knife and then use a dremel with the soft bristle brush to get the small stuff.

jpdown
05-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Plumbers putty works fine and won't dry out.

Blue Avenger
05-21-2010, 09:27 AM
play doh dose dry now that you mention it, but it is free when i swipe it from my brats.

EFBell
05-21-2010, 09:36 AM
plumbers putty works good and mink oil (the canned stuff) makes a good release agent. I use this because I had it around the house already.