PDA

View Full Version : My new F class blaster

Fjold
05-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Well the action is my 25+ year old left handed J action but the rest of it is pretty new.

Its a 26" SS Savage 243 barrel with the 9.25" twist. The action was trued and timed by Fred. Fred also built one of his LVT stocks with the adjustable comb to fit the detachable magazine and fitted an SSS competition trigger.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/DSC01049.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/DSC01050.jpg

privateer
05-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Now that is nice! Love that stock.

drybean
05-20-2010, 09:43 PM
wow!!! just e mialed today for the same stock
do you happen david stockden
drybean

Uncle Jack
05-20-2010, 09:53 PM
And what are you going to do with that fugly thing? Betcha even got a decent trigger in there. Let's see some groups.

uj

Fjold
05-20-2010, 10:29 PM
And what are you going to do with that fugly thing? Betcha even got a decent trigger in there. Let's see some groups.

uj

LOL, UPS just dropped it off 2 hours ago and I already put the base and got the scope mounted. That baby is going to be shooting at our local 1,000 yard match next month.

358Hammer
05-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Another work of art by Sharp Shooter.

Very nice.

Neal

Slowpoke Slim
05-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Hey Fjold,

What's the underside of the butt look like? is it wide and squared off like the factory F stock savage puts out? Or is it more tapered and/or rounded? It looks like the fore end isn't fully flat from front to back. Is the bottom of the fore end parallel with the bottom of the butt? Can we get a picture of the underside of the buttstock?

It looks really nice. Let us know how it "rides the bags" when you get it out shooting.

Dirk
05-21-2010, 10:27 AM
You say you have a detachable magazine? What for on a F-class rifle?

lucy123
05-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Very nice. ;D

Fjold
05-21-2010, 01:37 PM
The forearm is flat side to side but rounded on the corners. It does taper up as you go forward and is not parallel to the butt.

The J action was an old 110CL and I just didn't want to lose the detachable magazine feature. I may put in some flush sling swivel mounts on it and screw around with the local precision (sniper type) matches where i can use that feature. Just to whip some Savage haters.

nhm16
05-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Very nice... I have a very similar setup... SSS LVT stock in the same color, T&T varmint action, 28" McGowen barrel, Farrell 20moa base. Mine has the Freeland rail under the forearm.

Since the forearm isn't 3" wide, I use a Whidden trackplate that mounts using the rail for F-Class.

What's the underside of the butt look like? is it wide and squared off like the factory F stock savage puts out? Or is it more tapered and/or rounded? It looks like the fore end isn't fully flat from front to back. Is the bottom of the fore end parallel with the bottom of the butt? Can we get a picture of the underside of the buttstock?

It's rounded, with a fairly large radius. You need a double or triple-stitched rear bag. I wish it tapered to a narrower (like 3/8") flat, it would ride the rear bag a little better.

JCalhoun
05-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Frank;

I really like the cheek piece. Was that Fred's or did you supply it?

That stock looks a lot like what I have been wishing for.

drybean
05-23-2010, 06:13 PM
where do you shoot at 1000yrds around bakersfield
looking for someplace to set paper out to 500

Fjold
05-23-2010, 08:40 PM
The adjustable cheekpiece is an option that Fred sells on the stock.

In the Bakersfield area we shoot out to 1,000 yards out on the BLM land south of Tehachapi on Willow Springs Road and we have the monthly matches out at Tri-County gun club in Cuyama.

I'm spraying the stock right now with clear urethane, I just sprayed the third coat, rubbed down with 0000 steel wool between coats.

drybean
05-23-2010, 09:04 PM
w
ould like to have directions to blm off of58
t hanks

Fjold
05-24-2010, 12:51 AM
w
ould like to have directions to blm off of58
t hanks

We usually shoot there for the monthly practice sessions with the CA Precision Rifle Club. Here's a link
http://www.caprc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38

It's a little hard to describe. It's about 8 miles south on Willow Springs Road after you pass all the windmills. Then you turn right on a dirt road and go back about 3/4s of a mile. It's kind of one places that you have to been there, to get there.

Fjold
05-25-2010, 11:10 AM
After a couple of coats of clear urethane. I loaded up some test loads with the 95 grain SMKs to try this weekend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/DSC01060.jpg

King Ghidora
05-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Gotta love those Savages. I have a 12 LRPV in .223 that also has a 26" barrel. It has the target AT and the H-S Precision synthetic stock with a 1:9 twist. I've only got to shoot it 400 yards so far but it did outstanding considering I don't have that much experience shooting at that distance. I was smacking a gallon jug around pretty good which may not be that great for some people but it seemed pretty good for my experience level. My club is building a 1000 yard range and I hope to be shooting there before too long. They already have a 600 yard range but I haven't shot there yet. It's the only place around with long range shooting like that and it's a 75 mile round trip for me so I don't go out there real often. I have a farm where I can shoot 300 yards or more if I really tried but it starts to get a little risky at more than 300 yards so I don't like shooting any farther than that. There's a place I could shoot about 700 yards there if I have some help to keep out any wandering strangers.

Anyway I know my barrel will get the job done. I believe I can get out to 1000 yards even though I really should have a 1:7 twist barrel so I could shoot the heavier bullets. But I was only aiming about 12-16 inches above that gallon jug to hit it so I figure getting out to 100 yards is do-able. I intend to find out anyway.

Congrats on the rifle. It seems to be setup very well with the SSS trigger and the custom stock. I may have to get myself one of those triggers somewhere down the road. I like the adjustable comb better than the one on the F/TR because I figured the plastic cover on the F/TR comb would be something that would need to be replaced before too many years.

Fjold
05-25-2010, 11:32 PM
I have two 1,000 yard ranges that I can shoot at but they're both over 100 miles for the round trip. I also can shoot on a friend's ranch with ranges out further than that if I want.

We just had a guy shooting his Service Rifle (1:7.7" twist,20" barrel with iron sights) in our last local match with single loaded 80 grain bullets and he did great.

I shoot a 26", 1:10" twist, Savage, 22.250 out to 1,000 yards competitively if there is no wind and have no problems with 69 grain SMKs but my usual long range gun is a 6.5x284.

King Ghidora
05-26-2010, 01:30 AM
I live in hilly, mountainous country so long shots are pretty hard to come by especially since there are heavy forests pretty much everywhere that doesn't have a cow on it. But there are places to shoot long distance as long as there is enough open country around. When I was a kid the farm was more secluded than it is now. There's a dang golf course across the small river (the Little Sandy river) from it now so things have definitely changed.

The prospect of an existing 600 yard range and a coming 1000 yard range made it worthwhile for me to join the club. It's a nice club with friendly people but it's just a little too far to go there every day. But at least there is a place to shoot long distance now.