PDA

View Full Version : anyone usin a duramax w a bipod?

learjet
05-20-2010, 07:14 PM
if so hows it workin? i built a cheapo 223 that is the only rifle ive got that wont shoot off a bipod for squat. id prefer to keep it cheap, and i prefer synthetic, otherwise id just go wood. the guns a stevens w all the normal attempts at stiffening the foreend. the barrel never contacts the stock, but something sure is flexing. 5 shot groups w different rests below. yea, i pulled 1 each on the bottom 2 groups

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/learje/peeweegroup.jpg

scottkr
05-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Bipod group does look a little "ugly". I have a Duramax stock on my 12FV in .22-250. It groups better than that but typically I don't get as good of groups with a bipod as I do with a rest. Bipod doesn't allow the rifle to recoil normally by sliding in the pads. It hops causing what you see. Just my 2 pennies worth. Were it me I would do a little investigation. Something is slightly amiss.

hotbrass
05-20-2010, 08:26 PM
I believe that bullet is long gone before you get enough recoil to make a gun hop on a bipod.

drybean
05-20-2010, 08:43 PM
pull back aginst the bipod
an sholder anwatch trigger controll check weld

learjet
05-20-2010, 09:39 PM
my forms fine, my 308, 300wsm, and 338 rum all shoot fine groups off the bipod on the ground. they also have good stocks, HS precision or bedded hardwood. but they will hop if shot off a bipod on a bench. bipod hop is real, but w those guns as long as im on the ground they shoot fine. was a bit startled to see the 223 rubber stock doin it though, even when shooting prone. a stock is the answer, my first preference is a Stockade, but i dont want the wait. the barrels a std stevens 223 sporter barrel, that has been rechambered tight w minimal freebore. its built to shoot light varmint bullets, and its plenty accurate IF i stay off the bipod...

hangtime
05-21-2010, 12:37 PM
My stevens 200 chambered in 270 shoots great off a bipod with the factory stock. Having said that it has a steel plate attached to the bottom of it running from the tip of the stock to the trigger. Trimmed the outside of it to line up with the contour of the stock and was attached using sheet metal screws. The caldwell bipod was attached by drilling a hole in the metal and threading it. The bipod is not attached at the front sling stud, its about four inches back towards the center. I did remove lots of material from the barrel channel as well. Shooting hornady 130 grain SSTs of a bench with the bipod resulted in three four shot groups that can be covered with a nickel at 100 yards. Even though it shoots great the way it is I have a duramaxx on order so by next week it should be wearing one with a bipod.

darkker
05-22-2010, 05:13 PM
My duramax and Harris bipod has been on a FP in 308, and now is on a fp in 223.
Where I notice it really comes in handy is long range, and cases where you don't want any Twitch in your shooting.