PDA

View Full Version : need help one flyer every time!

Pages : 1 [2]

tlf65
06-22-2015, 10:27 PM
Could the rifle be bouncing on the rest because of a sling swivel or swivel stud?

willyp
06-23-2015, 03:17 AM
I like reading this type of threads. When you do figure it out its like how did i miss that!

tufrthnails
06-23-2015, 03:59 AM
Are you certain the barrel and tang are free floated? sounds like it is heating up and making contact slinging one. Just a guess though.

motoman006
06-23-2015, 12:01 PM
Are you certain the barrel and tang are free floated? sounds like it is heating up and making contact slinging one. Just a guess though.

im going to try everything suggested
its free floated its a savage 10 fcp hs precision stock has plenty of float, i have reloaded 42gr varget and 44gr varget
o think my chrono was giving me faulty readings being to close to the muzzle blast or the sun
i have my 40.5gr load show 2900 FPS then my 41 showed normal 2550fps
im thinking my load is fine but will have to test again, im going to take apart the rifle and re torque everything before i shoot next time and take longer breaks in betweens shots

Bolted
06-27-2015, 01:41 PM
A random flyer can also be caused by a primer not seated the same depth as the others. Make sure there isn't any cleaning media stuck in the flash hole as well. If it's your last shot that flies, it's usually a shooter problem, trying too hard to get that last shot in the group. RELAX. BREATHE. SQUEEZE.

CharlieNC
06-27-2015, 04:21 PM
It sounds like you are not following any particular protocol for load development? Google Dan Newberry OCW load development; this and all other procedures I have seen define a node based on achieving a stable vertical POI across a charge range. If you are just looking at group size you can be fooled, and therefore get flyers.

barefooter56
06-29-2015, 11:39 AM
im going to try everything suggested
its free floated its a savage 10 fcp hs precision stock has plenty of float, i have reloaded 42gr varget and 44gr varget
o think my chrono was giving me faulty readings being to close to the muzzle blast or the sun
i have my 40.5gr load show 2900 FPS then my 41 showed normal 2550fps
im thinking my load is fine but will have to test again, im going to take apart the rifle and re torque everything before i shoot next time and take longer breaks in betweens shots
motoman006,
Is the flyer going in a constant direction , if so which way?
Take care!
Phil Hoham Berger bullet tech.

Newbe
06-29-2015, 05:43 PM
What is your method for shooting groups?

I use a round robin method. Shoot one round from each load at a different bulls-eye. Then go back and shoot a second charge from each load at each consecutive bulls-eye, and so on and so on....

This tends to spread error from the barrel heating up, etc around to each group.

motoman006
06-29-2015, 07:06 PM
motoman006,
Is the flyer going in a constant direction , if so which way?
Take care!
Phil Hoham Berger bullet tech.

Not sure it's been a while since i shot those groups

i did go out this weekend and shot
i got four three shot groups
no fliers and both 44gr loads shot a half inch or less
the 42gr load shot bad prolly a inch or so
now I'm going to reload two 5 shot groups of the 44gr with Varget and 4064

will report back! I took gun apart and re torqued everything it could have possibly been something with that

barefooter56
06-30-2015, 11:24 AM
motoman006,
Yes it could. Savages do like to be torqued to the right specs. Looking forward to your report.
Good shooting!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet tech.

motoman006
06-30-2015, 04:30 PM
motoman006,
Yes it could. Savages do like to be torqued to the right specs. Looking forward to your report.
Good shooting!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet tech.

thanks! looks like rain next few days here
i loaded up 10 rounds of each 4064 and varget with 44gr in each seems to be the load it likes
going to shoot two 5 shot groups of each i measured each load on a beam scale and electronic to ensure accuracy

other then the one flier before it shot WONDERFUL groups with this load in lake city brass

also i think the flier was going towards same spot i want to say high and right

barefooter56
07-01-2015, 04:13 PM
motoman006,
High and right if you are a right hand shooter usually indicates "shouldering" of the rifle in anticipation or recoil. This makes the rifle rise as the shoulder is contacted by the butt of the stock or even if the butt is in contact with the shooters shoulder at the time of the shot. Low and right is a flinch or snatching the trigger.

mjphawk
07-09-2015, 07:40 AM
motoman006,
Good shooting!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet tech.

Any suggestions as to what the "right specs " generally tend to be? I know each gun is unique but there is usually an average that's a good starting place. I have the same rifle as the OP and am trying to fine tune a few things. Thanks.