PDA

View Full Version : Spotting scope stands

Rick_W
05-16-2015, 07:22 PM
I'm looking for a good, stable stand.

I would prefer to NOT spend $300, but will wait a few weeks and save my money up if needed.

I'm currently using a Pentax PF-80ED straight-bodied scope.

Would ideally like a stand that can be used standing, sitting or prone.

Home-made stands, that don't require the use of a lather or other special equipment to make, are also possible options.

yobuck
05-16-2015, 09:09 PM
Keep your eye on ebay for an old (Freeland) scope stand.
They occaisionaly show up but can be a little pricey.
Years back Al Freeland sold a whole line of shooters accessories.

jerry shaw
05-20-2015, 08:34 AM
My best advice is to pick up a stand from Wayne McLeod. I have one of his scope stands and am very pleased with it. It is sufficiently heavy to dampen vibration and movement on windy days. It is purpose-built for across-the-course shooting.
Wayne makes a great product and is a great guy.
It does hit the upper price limit, but it is worth it. I have a Freeland's stand. It is a good product. I bought Wayne's stand to replace it several years ago. I'm no longer looking for a stand and only keep the Freeland's as a backup.
http://gearbuggy.com

Mozella
07-27-2015, 03:38 PM
I mount my scope on a photo tripod I already owned; cost (additional cost anyway)= zero. It's not very heavy, not too big to carry, very sturdy, and easy to set up and adjust. It has a ball swivel head and a quick release plate. It works for standing and sitting and would actually work for prone except that the splayed legs would be in the way. I don't shoot prone, but it would be simple to unscrew the tripod head and mount it on a block of plywood for prone shooting.

So, if you really want something cheap, visit a flea market or garage sale and pick up a nice aluminum tripod for cheap. Add a quick release plate if you want, and you're good to go for not much money. It may not be absolutely perfect, but it doesn't cost $300 and it's better than anything home made.

JCalhoun
07-31-2015, 11:28 PM
Earlier this year I bought a stand from Jim Owens (Jarhead Top). Very well made and not too pricey.