PDA

View Full Version : Target action build question

Keone
05-15-2015, 10:35 PM
Hi guys,
this will be my first build and right now I'm thinking I want a Bell and Carlson fully adjustable A5 stock with a target action in 6.5 creedmore. B&C's website list the A5 stock as being comparable with savage model 12. Bu I just read that the target action has 3 screws while the varmint action uses only 2..

So my question is will the model 12 target action fit in any aftermarket stock that accepts a standard model 12 action?

all questions, comments, and just plain wise crack remarks are welcomed.

Thanks
key

Hotolds442
05-15-2015, 11:42 PM
You will find your answer here: http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?128-Savage-Action-Lengths

rjtfroggy
05-16-2015, 07:07 AM
Keone simply put if your action is 4.40 it will fit just eliminate the center screw. Also the PTA is a single shot so the stock needs to be for a blind mag that you are willing to fill the mag well. I'm not familiar with the B & C stocks so maybe someone else will chime in.

Keone
05-16-2015, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.. I guess I was mistaken about a few things... I thought the 12 LRP was a Target Action with a DBM, so from that I assumed that one could buy a Target Action and convert to blind.... didn't realize it was single shot only. Maybe I'll just go with another off the shelf rifle and get a model 12 LRP in 6.5.

thanks Again
K

markb317
05-27-2015, 01:32 AM
You can have a PTA converted to a repeater by a gunsmith or a local machine shop, the feed ramp will also need to be cut. I have one that I converted and it works great.

jonbearman
05-28-2015, 12:50 AM
You could check with Jim At Northland shooters supply 1-763-682-4296 and see if he has one of the model 12 varmint actions left which is a repeater large shank action. The only problem I see with the bell and Carlson A5 is it is very heavy compared to say an hs precision or McMillan etc . As long as you don't mind carrying the weight then the B&C would be fine.