PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone re barreled a Savage 111 LRH?

Trapper458
05-15-2015, 10:20 PM
Thinking of re barreling my 111 LRH, 300 Win Mag, wondered if anyone has re barreled the 111 LRH? Plan on keeping the Accustock, and 300 WM caliber. I have read the replacement recoil lugs won't fit the Accustock? Also wondered what barrel profile will match up to the factory 300 WM 111 LRH so I don't have to radically change the stock. Maybe someone out there has done this?
Thanks,
Trapper458

thomae
05-25-2015, 09:15 AM
It's not much different than any other savage. Yes, you need to use the accustock recoil lug, because the non-accustock lug won't fit into the aluminum recess within the accustock. Other than that, it should be rather straight-forward. As to the barrel profile, I can't answer your question. Most accustocks are designed for factory contour hunting barrels. It's easy to widen the channel, but different folks have different ideas on what looks ok, and what looks like a "radical change."

Robinhood
05-25-2015, 11:12 AM
I agree with thomae. Your barrel profile would be magnum contour. that means different nomenclature for different manufacturers but will get you close.

Trapper458
05-27-2015, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the replies. I went with a Criterion Light Varmint contour from NSS, with a new lug and nut. The lug will need altered and the accustock as well, the lug recess is not wide enough for the thicker aftermarket lug, and the sides and bottom of the new lug will need recontoured to fit the stock. I will have to open up the barrel channel appx 0.170 which will leave the sides pretty thin at the muzzle end of the stock but I think it will work. I went with a 24" Barrel as this is for a hunting rifle and I plan to use a recoil eliminator (JP Rifles) and was thinking about keeping the overall length down. I will shoot the barrel as is and if it shoots well (which I expect) I will have it cut for the Recoil eliminator. I haven't used the JP recoil eliminator before but have read that they are very effective and I would like to be able to spot the shots.

In looking at the accustock bearing area for the recoil lug, it seems pretty small, just the aluminum "bar" cut to allow the lug to seat in front of it, I was thinking of "rebedding" the lug bearing area by filling the two side grooves with JB weld and bedding the whole bearing surface of the lug, any comments?

Regards,
Trapper458